gonna go for it alone tommorow

slightly nervous but ball joint has turned up and gonna have a crack at it my self .......already been told i can smash old one out and once its out easy to fit new one with a cut 6 m alan key to stop thread spinning so it tightens any other advice people and what would u rate this out of 10 in difficultness to do im sort of semi handy with cars and done alot of work myself on my vr6 thats gone pretty smoothly.................any tips and advice will be well appreciated .....

lower ball joint yeah on the wish bone ...... just undo the Nut and the 3x13mm bolts use either a ball joint splitter or hit the hub where the ball joint goes through, pop new one in bolt it up to the wishbone pop a jack under the ball joint jack it up a bit to stop it from spinning tighten the nut up job done ..... any probs give me a shout

also havent got a splitter or know how to use one lol so just sort of undo all these bolts while jacked up then smash it off bolt new ball joint on move jack under ball joint raise until i can tighten nut then put wheel back on ???????

Final qeustion mate sorry .........i will need two jacks then one to hold car up and one to push ball joint thread up into the back of hub?????? unless i put a couple of spare wheels for car ito sit on while i move jack? as only have one trolley jack

all done tony was a piece of piss once old one was out ......had to smash the hub with sum major force a number of times to release old one must of been on there for years as shot to bits .........dont know why people said i needed a alan key or jack to stop it spinning i just did all the 13s bac k up once in place then tightened the top balljoint bolt until was super tight think its a 17 mill i used a 3/4 what ever that is and job done!!! took her for a good drive and the improvement is massive ..........the wheel shifted left to right when u grabbed it and shook it now no movement at all....................happydays thanks for the advice again mate!!!!!!

I would re check the top bolt in a few days or something cos the threaded part could have spun even though the nut felt tight if you didn't stop it from spinning with an Allen key, the weight of the car and the force of driving would have forced it all the way in if it hadn't fully pressed itself in though so I'm just saying just to be sure it's all the way tight give it a check over

ok thanks lukey just couldnt see where i could even put this alan key .....i literally did it with all my strength with my hands and thats alot !!!! and then held spanner tight and hammered spanner until it wouldnt move no more and i t didnt spin!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for concern ive also just been out down my favourite back roads and leathered it for 10 miles and hit some roundaboutd hard and still feels good ...............what do u reckon mate ??????? give nut a quick test tighten again??

The top of the threaded shaft has a 6mm Allen key hole in it.

If you've managed to get the nut on so the spanner won't move it will have gone all the way on, when I put my new ones in I did the nut up as tight as it would go but there was thread still visible below it and it just span round and I had to brace it with the Allen key to get it all the way on

the ball joint i bought had no allen key thread if u go on ebay and type in (golf vr6 ball joint ) its second down with gold bolts and a seller from cornwall .........only thing was the gold bolt screws he supplied was to short so had to use the existing ones !!!!!!!!!!!!! but there is no thread at all visible and seems ok maybe they have new designs out now im not sure .......but ill def check tommorow to be sure a abd keep u posted ..thanks for your knowledge pal ..