got a bit of a running problem at the moment, my golf idles fine but struggles a little firing up at first and when driving when low down in the revs if u put ur foot down it almost misfires and struggles to get going for a second then picks up and runs fine once it gets revving. its bin plugged in to vagcom and the mass air flow was reading as normal and there were no fault codes showing up.

my thoughts at the moment are that it is likely to be the coilpack?

I will keep you posted going to have a look this morning before I go to work. I've bin reading up though about using a mk4 MAF sensor becasue they are about £60 instead of £250 for the vr6 ones!

Its the size of the housing thats different both sensors have the same Bosch part number aparently. So just have to swap the actual sensor over to the vr6 housing.

If this all goes well I will keep you posted, no point spending more money than neccerssary on the same part!

carb cleaner could work' date=' but could be a bit aggressive as well, depending on how weak the maf is. I would try some IPA first, that will clean it up good.

[/quote']

+1

IPA is isopropyl alcohol. You can get it at maplins or salon suppliers would prob be cheaper as they use tons of it for nails

ah cheers for that don i guess its worth giving it a clean first see if it improves but at the end of the day if it does only cost 50 or 60 quid i might just buy a new one for the sake of a part that's probably 15 or so years old

ipa? what's that? doing part time bar work only a beer comes to mind but i don't think you mean to clean it with beer Haha

Isopropyl Alcohol (Don't try drinking that either!) its like 99.9% alcolhol, its what NHS use to sterilize skin. its a brilliant degreaser. for electrical contacts e.t.c.