vr6 not starting then runs and cuts out - SORTED PAGE 4!!!!!!!

weird one, fitted my brand new catalytic convertor for MOT the other day and was running fine.

got home today after a 6 mile drive home from work and went to go out 5 minutes later and the car wouldnt start and smelt of fuel. left it 15 minutes started it and it ran fine then 3 to 4 minutes later it cut out again and wouldnt start. had a look at fuel lines from tank and engine and no splits etc...

any ideas? ive replaced all sensors like temp etc... a year ago.

Check the diaphragm in the fuel presume regulator isn't split, had a similar problem with mine that stunk of fuel and wouldn't start.. maybe drop the vacuum pipe off the FPR and block the inlet manifold side off with your finger, and see if any fuel comes out the vacuum pipe.

If that's ok then might have to get it on vag com and see what faults come up.

cheers russ, FPR was new about 3 months ago.

just got it running again after i let it cool down drove it for 1 mile driving perfect and it cut out again.

i did put some fuel additive in it, 400ml of injector cleaner that reduces emmissions etc. maybe the engine doesnt agree with it??? link below-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221057506741

Where did you buy the FPR from? I bought one off eBay and after about 2 wheels I had it popping a lot, smell of fuel and struggling to start with wet plugs.. the diaphragm had split and was pumping fuel straight down the vacuum pipe into the inlet manifold.

I mean, the chances of this happening again aren't likely, but you never know.

But, if its only done this since the CAT replaced, it could be sensor related and just overfueling in general because of a faulty sensor.

cheers russ got it from ebay non genuine done about 500 miles on it, bloody just got rid of my old genuine FPR!! im thinking could it be the CAT causing the engine not to breath right, but ive drove 20 miles or so on it and its been fine???? lambda is brand new as well budd.

update guys- left the car overnight so the engine was stone cold, started up fine and drove 1 mile round the block and left on the drive to idle, as soon as it gets to operating temperature it cuts out and wont start.

not sorted guys, engine speed sensor code was the only one that showed but fitted a brand new sensor and its still not firing up! still getting no spark at all!!

have taken spark plugs out and dryed them as they were wet with petrol

Back to basics. Check spark with a plug removed' date=' if no-check power to coil, if no-check power and relay.

[/quote']

ordered a new ignition coil off ebay not too much so will try that!

checked with a new spark plug i had lying around and not sparking off any of the leads.

Just note that if you do a test on vag com with the engine not running' date=' it will come up with a fault for engine speed sensor (or similar code) it clears as soon as the engine starts.

[/quote']

hmm not sure if its come up before as ive used vag com in the past.

so now im not getting a spark im thinking maybe ignition coil?? bad earth somewhere?? or relay related?? any idea of a number relay as i have a few spare for the vr6. dizzy is new a year ago and looks fresh still.

thanks russ :-)

Erm I'm sure its something like 109 and 167 are the ones.. top left and the one to the left of bottom right in the fusebox.. these are fuel pump and engine management.. I know the fuel pump one isn't probably going to be the issue, but I can't remember which is which :D I've also heard one won't work without the other but not sure how true this is.