Stiff steering and uneven tyre wear.

Hi, just joined the club and would appreciate some advice please. I've bought a totally standard '95 VR6 and am busy getting it back to pristine order, which should be worthwhile as it's not got any bubbling anywhere and is all factory paint - it's an automatic, but don't crucify me guys as it is for my father and he is knocking on 70. Besides, by virtue of its autobox it has escaped boyracer owners and there are only 120 VR6 autos left, so I have made my case.

The steering is dodgy at the moment as it goes quite stiff in corners and roundabouts. There's no noises, squealing from the PAS and no fluid leakage so I don't think it's PAS related. The front tyres are heavily worn on the inside shoulders and yet on the outer shoulder 5mm tread remains and the front wheels to me don't sit right. I had this exact thing on my last VR6 six years ago although that one was worse. Instead of sitting perpendicular, or towing out a bit at the bottom, the wheels actually seem to "tuck in" where they contact the road (is this negative camber?) - - anyway on my last VR6 I was told the camber and tracking needed adjusting, this was done but the wheels still didn't sit right. So because I have had the issue before and as I know this new VR6 has never been in a smash there must be some other reason for this. I also think the stiff steering in corners, uneven tyre wear, and the wheel angle are linked.

I am thinking of buying new wishbones/lower arms, new top strut mounts and new front shocks - - but before I start shelling out (plus, as you may have gathered, I am not mechanically minded so will have to pay to have professionals fit these parts!) does ANYONE know what this is all about, I cannot be the only one who has ever noticed this when 2 out of the 3 VR6's I have owned displayed pretty much the same symptoms!

Any opinions gratefully received.

first thing I would do is to get the suspension components check for wear like wish bone bushed if all if fine get a 4 wheel alignment done if they are wearing in the inner edges it means the front wheels are out of alignment ie toe-in .....

Nothing wrong with an auto had mine over 3 years and if i am anything to go by they are driven harder than manuals as you cant just stick it in a high gear for better economy and it does like to kickdown at 50. I am about to swap wishbones on mine but my wheels are sitting perfect with no bad tyre wear that i had before changing them last time. I have mine 4 wheel aligned after fitting wishbones.

And welcome to the club..