Hello all, I recently bought a 95 b4 vr6 wagon with a few known faults, dent on wing and the air bag light on, any how bought it, when collecting it the seller told me in his broken English that it had recently had a new abs pump fitted thought nothing of it, test drove it and was happy, he also said he had fitted new discs and pads, Any how after driving it home and after a few days it started doing some thing a bit bizzare under very light braking the ABS would cut in did a bit of looking on the net and it seems the sensors could be the problem and as he had mentioned he had fitted the discs I thought he may have damaged a sensor.

I then bought a code reader as if it was a sensor it will tell me which one plugged in reader cleared airbag fault and went on to read the abs..... It won't read the abs at all, as well as that it now likes to activate the abs pump even when I'm not on the brakes I can hear it pumping and fell it through the pedals, some times starts when the clutch is released checked part numbers and there correct or seem to be for year of car, If I brake heavy but not to the point of locking up they work normal, if the abs is pumping and I need to brake it nearly throws me through the window with barely and pressure on the pedal, so now have it sat on drive till fixed as steering wheel and window for dinner isn't appealing,any one had any thing like this before and if the abs pump wasn't coded could this cause problems and if its the same part number on the pump do they still need coding as it won't read the abs at all

Cheers matt

Yea that would prob get straight to it but I haven't got it and don't want to drive it really as its a bit scary at the mo, was hoping some one could shed some light on it, also I have read that you can unplug the wires tothe abs pump to stop it working and it just reverts back to non abs, does anyone know if this is right if so.at least I can get it some were without eating windscreen

Cheers matt

Take out abs relay or fuse so you can drive it somewhere.. it will stop it from going hard under the pedal and stop it from kicking in' date=' but be aware it won't kick in during emergency stop.

[/quote']

That's great thank you, as long as its normal braking with no abs, could do without abs as most of all my other cars have never had it

Cheers matt

Yep all normal without the abs connected.. can't remember which relay it us, but if its on constantly.. try and feel which one buzzes and pull it out! Shouldn't be a problem doing that.. just make sure its plugged in before diagnostics obviously

Quick update, due to being broke as a joke at the mo started looking for the obvious as some were to start, one of the tone rings was bent on the front so straightened that out, then busted the multimeter out and started checking and found one of the rear sensors to be dead (also the last one I checked) so just waiting for the new one to arrive and will get it fitted and see were I am with it, may not be the problem but it certainly isn't going to help things

Problem solved, changed sensor and all ok, just checking the basics saved me the money of getting it hooked up to vagcom to tell me the problem, a Bugger to fit though old one was well stuck in there if I ever need to do another rear one the disc will come off straight away to speed things up, once the disc was off it was a dead easy fix