Rotrex supercharger test drive

Hi guys,

I'm appealing to your very generous natured souls to ask if anyone is willing, who lives in and around London or the south / south east and has a rotrex charger setup, would grant me spin in their car. I'm in the market for an 8psi rotrex charger setup for my VR6 but would dearly love to know exactly how this drives, obviously all the reading and performance charts in the world i've read through is one thing but to feel how this relates to the actual driving experience is another. So if anyone is willing and generous enough to either take me for a spin or let me drive their car then that would help me finally make my mind up and i can begin to write out some expensive cheques! Appreciated

Mark

Am I to deduct from that that everyone has gone turbo crazy! There must a few happy campers with a rotrex setup knocking around. I was lead to believe that the rotrex was a decent bit of kit even lower in the rev range. Must admit i took a drive in vortech charged VR the other day and if I'm honest i was not overly impressed, felt like there was maybe the weight of one less person in the car when driving it. So please any rotrex Vrs in the south / south east that can convince me to spend the money on one please drop me a line and put my mind at rest! thanks

Well, it sounds like the other car was only stage 1 from your discription. How much BHP are you looking for?....and what feel are you after?

VFStage 2 (250BHP minimum) and above is noticeable and the general theory is it is more progressive.

If you want that all hell breaks loose feeling then you're going to go for the Rotex. A higher stage VF or the Turbo option and looking for the 300BHP mark and above as a minimum.

All options can achieve that and all options do it a differing way.

Yes the Rotex is a special piece of kit and not a bolt on option in the sense of the VF kits. You will have to make it yourself much more, and people can tell you how on here... Did you search the site for Rotex build thread?

A loada people go Turbo because it can be done a lot simpler... Vince at Stealth offers an "off the shelf" option for you. Simply drop off and pick up (or fit yourself). That'll give a good figure and great reliability.

May I respectfully suggest you decide on what you want then decide how to get to it... Follow the crowds or get on that pioneering trail :D

(Plus of course how much engine rebuild and money you want to pour in to it LOL )....

If you find the Rotex build thread it may tell you what numbers he got to... Otherwise send a PM.

Good luck which everway you go and keep us updated on your progress and build ;)

thanks for the come back on this.... as you mention i need to know what i want out of this, for sure a more responsive motor through the rev range with a slight kick that'll put a smile on my face. I'm not expecting miracle performance from the horsepower I'm looking at (around the 280 to 300 BHP) but ideally a definate improvement.

I have already been up to see Vince a few weeks back to chat to him about both the rotrex and his turbo package that he offers, his kit looks pretty impressive running approx 360 BHP, unfortunatly his Corrado was off road at the time so i couldnt take a spin in it. As mentioned i wouldnt want to run it that high BHP due to clutch and exhaust issues etc.

I certainly am aware of the extra costs to make the engine ready for the FI package, cooling etc and have factored this in but certainly reliability for me is a huge factor as my mechanical skills are not great.

So i guess after all the reading and graph comparing it simply just comes down to 2 options, stealth turbo or Rotrex running 8PSI with some 263 cams and schrick manifold which i already have. The best way is to obviously feel the difference on the road in the car, alot of you guys have been there and the one thing that concerns me are the opinions from people that have been disapointed from there Chargers and turned to Turbo's. I personally feel that maybe the charger is the right choice for me but not if a modern turbo can deliver all that the charger can plus more!

Thanks for the input into this, opionions are always good but I feel i may have read too much from the vast array of info and thoughts on this site some of it conficting and have now started t odoubt that the charger is the better option for me. I only want to do this once and get it right!!! blimey now my head hurts!

You do what you want to do really.

I enjoyed having my rotrex'd VR6 but only changed it as there was a lot of welding needed doing underneath and would of cost a lot of cash to get the car sorted how I wanted it to be. Also rings needed doing on mine as it was blowing smoke near the end.

I wanted another car and wanted to try a turbo again as id had a R5 GTTurbo when i was 20ish and loved that.

So try both IF you can find someone with a rotrex'd VR that is. They are out there trust me

Well DonkeysMonkey.... It is a good problem to have... I will add to it only by staying my VF stage 2 never missed a beat when I had it and put a smile on my face every time I drove it. The issues I did have were more about learning what to do to get it working correctly initially. Once I fixed those then it was as good as gold.

"IF" you want a plug and play and dont want to do to much additional work and a quality product and reliability, then It was the best way forwards for me at any rate.

VF state 250BHP minimum... so your engine state and the exhaust you fit etc. will dictate how close to the 300BHP you actually get. I did a build thread so please learn from that and the only Piece of advice I will give is buy extra belts at day one so you have them "if" needed.

I still miss it... faster than my R32 that's for sure...

I had a passenger ride in a 3.2 rotrex setup which was quick but not as "urgent" as a turbo. The power delivery from a charger is softer than a turbo but this in turn is kinder to the mechanicals.

I was keen to go down the Rotrex route but I'm now in the middle of a turbo build. This is purely due to cost though.