Serious question this...

So I am looking around keeping an eye on things as I know that the V6 world (an I suppose anything with a V and more then 3 or 4 cylinders in it....) are about to vanish.... SO I suspect that I will need to find a 4 pot woth a spinny thing in the engine... (in a year or so it has to be said...

So how are 4 pots with spinny things at speed? Does "one" need to use the gear box a load more and this is why the DSG is now top of the tree??

Thinking about that motorway thing where Mr (or Mrs) Muppet pulls out. you hit that 50/60 mph band and then need to get back up to Motorway speed... Or you are at Motorway speed and need to just give it a nudge and you increase speed to move from lane to lane without Mr. Mondeo Suit having to throw the the bricks out to help him stop....

Thoughts please

I was looking at this the other day. I was watching a YouTube video of the new Golf R with DSG box.. it can be found seaching for 'Golf R acceleration' there's a speedo video.. from wat I can see, it goesfrom 0-60 very quick, and then it looks like it runs out of steam after that. I was thinking is this because it doesn't have as much torque or pull as other larger N/A and turbo engines?

I've had smaller displacement turbo 4s and they do have to be in their band or they are dead as a doornail, aside from the 4cyl VAG TDI which has so much torque that they are good at 1krpm to 3-4krpm so will laze about then you can floor it and get a donkey kick in the seat. Even had a petrol 2.3 turbo and it laboured at low revs. It's a shame. My VR6 and my focus ST I had before are/were just brilliant, They both laze about at idle pulling the car along and would still deliver the goods, flexible, the ST turbo 5pot (at least the tune I ran on it - 300hp) is the best engine I've ever had in a car and I miss it every day.

I've just bought a leon cupra r with 225 it's only a 1.8 20v turbo but I have to say I'm very impressed with it. a had it on a LNG run yesterday and average 38 mpg, I was stuck behind traffic for a bit but I was doing lots of overtaking. anything over 2500 revs and it will pull strong. it's a 6 speed manual and when cruising along at 45-50 mph you can overtake in 6th quite safely. if it needs to be done abit more urgently 4th or 5 th will do the job very nicely. I'm comparing this to my 1997 vr6 and it is faster and does pull strong as long as you keep above the magic 2500k. only thing I miss is the 6 cylinder soundtrack.