keeping up with Focus ST

Friend of mine has a Focus ST an he was a little suprised that from a rolling start my pretty much standard mk3 VR6 kept with him all the way.

I have to say i was a little suprised too, i think off the line he would leave me for dust

at 222bhp an 1392KG i was expecting to be left for dust

i suggested maybe he drives like a granny :)

having said that the bhp/ton figures come out very close according to carfolio

altho it has the vr6 down as 1155kgs???? that cant be right!

RX8's are a lot of fun for the price tag! The fact that a 231 can be purchased for a lot less than a decent VR6! I was toying with the idea of buying one for myself as a 3rd vehicle but went for another VR instead! They are quite fun to drive providing your into constantly changing gear! They need to be thrashed its a different vehicle when kept near the red line lol

One of our old mechanics was recently given one as payment for £700 worth of work lol I don't see anyone giving away VR's these days

Maybe but for fun on the road you need torque, so you don't have to go fast to feel like you're going fast. And I know that the VR engine doesn't make bags of torque but its a sight more than an RX8 and at more reasonable revs, plus I've got an A3 TDI if I want to feel some torque.

In response to this actual topic a stock ST is still faster than the VR6, and remapped or tuned beyond (300bhp can be had for about a grand of parts and remap) they get into Porsche bothering territory, I owned one and at 300bhp and 300lb/ft it was immense.

I out accelerated an RX8 from 30 coming off an island once. I stopped at 70 and he carried on going. I was suprised by the lack of power/speed from the 8 and it appeared he was too.

An ST will out perform the VR6. I played with a few several times when I owned my VR6 (183bhp 206f/lb) and coming close but being out done.

yeh i guess with just a remap the ST becomes a different animal, being 2.5 and a turbo i shud think there are big gains to be had

his is totally stock, and while there was no way i was getting past him he certainly wasnt getting away, maybe pulled a cars length on me over about half a mile.

ive never liked the rx8, always been a rx7 lover tho lol

I had a 'drag race' against an R-type ('05, old shape) in my VR6 (191bhp) the other week, and was surprised that the VR held its own right up to about the 110-120 mark, before the R-type started pulling away. However, whilst I'm willing to at least annoy (the oh so very many) R Type owners out there, every time I've came up against an ST or an Astra VXR, I get thoroughly humped.

That's why I feel the need for forced induction. It's a game changer - suddenly you're 300cc and 1 cylinder up on a standard ST. And a good deal lighter - I don't know where the 1100kg+ figure came from earlier - I was sure the VR Mk3. Golf was sub-1000kg (now I'm doubting myself).

The ST and the Astra VXR are the benchmarks for my project. Once I have them licked, I'll be happy (for a while).

RX-7s, on the other hand, are f*****g mental. It's all very well having 1,000,000bhp in a car that weighs the same as a packet of fags, but they spend most of their life sideways until their inevitable engagement with a lamp-post / tree (depending on your level of urbanization!). RX-8s drink oil. By the bucketload. And after the RX-7, they are sooooooo lame.