Car will only go with bump-start

My car needs a bump-start to get it going. When you turn the key in the ignition, all it does is make a single 'click' - there's no attempt by the engine to turn over. It bump starts first time, and it's absolutely fine once the engine's going.

It doesn't appear to be the battery draining away - I've got power at the pre-ignition stage (alarm / lights etc).

I replaced the battery about 6 weeks ago, so it's unlikely to be a battery fault.

There's not been any battery warning light, so I assume the alternator is OK.

The leads were replaced <6 months ago and the coil pack was changed last week.

I would normally be looking at the starter at this point, however my car has always started first time - every time. It's not laboured or anything like that. My previous experience with dodgy starters is that they gradually die as opposed to just totally give up one day. Anyone else have a starter that just died without warning one day?

I've also read on here about a dodgy ignition switch on the Mk3 Golf - could it be something like this?

Does anyone have any ideas / comments / experience that they can share?

You can check your alternator by metering the battery voltage with the engine running it should be ~14v. When my battery was too low I had to bump it just like this too and had no low voltage lights or anything.

In my case the alternator was replaced at some time before I bought it with a very low amp one and the battery was never getting a thorough charge and eventually died, so I had to replace both the alternator for the proper one and the battery.

Not saying this will be your problem but if you get to exhausting possibilities just another thing you could look at.

ok, cheers for that. I think I need to whip the starter out, put some power through it and see what happens. I'm ordering an ignition switch as well, just in case.

Luckily I stay on a hill, so as long as no-one parks in front of me, I can get going. I should have a disabled sign painted outside my house... for the car. :-)