30% off at Autotech.com

Just had an email arrive from Autotech...they've got a Black Friday sale on until Monday 26th with a non-too-shabby 30% off pretty much all products...including their 262 cams that for the next 4 and a bit days are £137 for the pair! :o Even with shipping and import duty they're worth considering! :-d

Autotech Cams!

Methinks Christmas has come early :-)

Steve.

Looks like a good spot. I've been ruling cams out due to their price up 'til this point. However, this might change things.

Do you have any idea what the shipping would be on this? I did try and check, but needed to create an account before it would tell me.

One other thing - is it recommended to get the springs at the same time as the cams? And whilst we're on the subject, are there any other parts that should be done at the same time? Any cam veterans with some experience to share?

I'm off to do the obligatory forum-trawl on the subject now...

plenty of threads on cams mate, hd springs i would only really get on high revving engines, with high degree cams, becuase they can cause a bit of lobe slap, standard springs are pretty resilient.. as for just changing them like for like it would depend on what milage the cars done?

Right then, I signed up for a normal customer account and got costs for shipping etc...here goes (based on today, 22/11 exchange rate of £1.59/$1) :

Autotech 262 Cams - £136.46 ($216.97)

UPS Worldwide Delivery (2-3 days) - £98.27 ($156.26)

Total of - £234.73 ($373.23)

So far, so good...however there's two things that need to be taken into account ; the Custom Duty & Import VAT (paid on items above a certain value, but what that is I dont know!)

According to the HMRC, the Custom Duty is on average 5-9% of the actual item's value, so worst case is 9% = £12.28, and Import VAT (20%) if the total cost goes over the HMRC threshold applies to the complete value of the package (robbing chuffs!) so thats another potential £46.95 to add on, taking it to a maximum possible total of £293.96 (or £247.01 if VAT isnt applied).

So cheap cams are starting to look a bit more meh than wahoo, but it's still a pretty good price. I'll try & find out what the threshold is for paying import duty.

Dug around on the HMRC site via Google and unless Autotech can value the cams at £15 or under then anyone buying the cams will have to pay the Import VAT of 20%. ;-(

So nice cams or not, at nearly £300 it turns out to be dearer than I first thought. Back to fleebay and the forums to hunt for a set!

Pity they don't do 24v or r32 cams :(

They're still cheap for 12v. As a rule of thumb for importing stuff from the States I always add 25% to the total, that keeps you on the right side of it normally. Allows for 20% vat, 3% import duty and the courier handling fee.

Im not 100% sure but i saw some cams for an mk4 R32 which were also compatible with BDE variable cam timming, but did not mention anything about the AUE engine with single cam timming and coilpack.

Think ive got the engine codes round the right way.