do vr6's normal run very toasty!

just want to double check im not overheating, this is my first vr6 its an 97 obd2 highline and after about 2mins of driving not going hard on the gas at all its up to temp in winter time! and then after about 10mins of driving i pulled over lifted up the bonnet to see how it was going as it hasnt been on the road for nearly 3 years and it was very hot but the gauge was happily sat where it should be, is this normal do they just run very toasty ? also i have a tiny miss every now and then is there anyone with vag com in shrewsbury/telford area who could see whats up with it? cheers

As above... it usually takes about 5-10mins for all the guages (Water & Oil) to get up to temperature.

I to would just check that everything is flowing.. you have water in the expansion tank, a thermostat, the guage is actually working... (bowl of hot water and the sensor). Radiator Fans kick in..

Yes the engine bay does get warm and if you are stood next to the car with it running on a cold day that waft past the drivers side when it kicks in is always worthwhile.... LOL..

As it hasnt been run in a while I would be tempted to flush the systems any way just for peice of mind...