Rattling sound on cold start up...

I'm trying to work through all the little niggling problems with the vr engine... I'm at the point where I'm going to buy a new bearing for the drive belt tensioner and replace the belt too becasue its started to squeek while driving. But I have just recently noticed ( well you can't not notice it) but the engine has developed a pretty horrendous grinding / rattling sound on cold start up! I mean you can hear it from sat in the car with the doors closed! But as soon as its run for a minute the noise dissapears completely which I dono if its more concerning or not! Could it just be the tensioner bearing that is shot and sounds horrible until its got spinning and warmed up or has anyone got any other ideas of what could cause this noise.

Luckily the car doesnt get much use anymore so I dont have to keep driving it until I find the problem. Cheers folks!

It's hard to say where its coming from, it's in line with the head though becasue is you get lower than the bumper and listen from the bottom of the engine its a lot quieter. I have been telling my self for a couple of weeks I think the chains have started getting noiser when its running all the time but like I say this initial noise when its cold is REALLY loud then quietens to what I assume is the chain rattle. If it was just the chains would they not get louder as the engine got hotter?

cheers for the replies all! lukey, while its cold the noise actually gwts quieter as you increase the revs!

maiden, ive just ordered a new tensioner bearing to change that but it doesnt sound like any bearing ive hear going before! and admin it could well be more timing chain related ive got a 2.9 corrado block in my golf so I would guess that would make it the earlier style tensioner bolt? if I replace that first is it reusable though if I later need to replace all the chains?

• 2 months later...