Hi guys,

I'm having a problem which I can't get to the bottom of. I've got a friend coming over tomorrow with vagcom to try and help but I thought I would ask here too.

My golf is really rough on idle and throws out thick white smoke. I thought it would mean headgasket but that seem to be fine. The smoke stinks of petrol and there is petrol in the exhaust. It drips out. There's also a white liquid in the exhaust when it's running which turns black when you turn it off.

I think it gets worse as it gets up to temp as it keeps cutting out. It had a supercharger chip in the ecu which got replaced for a standard map but things are still bad.

Any ideas?

Hi mate, had same'ish issue, over fuelling no faults in vag com replaced all of Pete's suggestions, had black exhaust and real crap mpg all the time with rich exhaust, turns out it was dodgy thermostat. If you can vag-com it look for water temp settings as I believe they should change when the stat opens. My issue was stat half open and engine never getting properly warm and seemed to run on choke all the time (very slow to drop back to idle, ie stop at red light and idle would drop from 2K to 900'ish in minutes not seconds)

MAF issues can be diagnosed with unplugging it and no change, blue temp sensor should be the same (unplug and no change) basically if they are disconnected default values apply, is yours ODB1 or 2? If 2 then you should be able to get a reading for the second lambda after/on cat I can't remember what the math is but you can determine Air/Fuel ratio from this.

If your near me I have spare MAF to test with and vag-com if needed.

Hope this is of use, good luck.

Steve

Yeah I unplugged the MAF and it doesn't change. The MAF looks brand new though. I got a spare one I think but I don't know if that's any good. It's obd2 with a 6 branch decat and shrick manifold.

I need to update my location as Michael said I'm in stockport now haha

Edit- I only have a spare obd1 maf

• 3 weeks later...

i had my car run up on faul diagnostics when i was getting funny issues with maf and it was giving readings but occasionaly it was giving reading outside of the paramaters which is what made the car run so badly

so could still be the maf but wiring is always a possibilty just hard to diagnose