I went to purchase a head gasket kit today from GSF, The chap was honest and helpful - but I left empty-handed.

The kit they sell (114VG-0370) is for engines up to: AAA146000.

My engine is AAA214443.

He'd previously sold one and the guy had no end of issues, the stems seals and rocker cover gasket were a no-no, as were probably some of the others.

He could not find a listing for a gasket kit suitable for this engine number.

Has anyone else encounted any problems with this?

My next port of call will have to be Genuine VW. :S

Just looking into this myself and got the same result with the GSF kit and ECP, I am looking for a victor reinz headgasket and according to the GSF website they stock the victor reinz headgaskets. I'm probably going to have to get a rocker cover seal from VW as mine has given up slightly aswell as intake upper and lower, and tbh would only use a genuine seal on the t-stat housing as I don't want to have to replace that seal any time soon after doing this job if a cheapie gives up.

VW headgasket will likely be victor reinz, the same but twice the price. But otherwise I would say get genuine everything else, head bolts and the like.

What I cant work out is do you have to just replace the 20 head bolts or are there stud posts too? Or is the 20 bolts all there is? Or is it people are using multiple terms for just the 20 head bolts?

Yeah thats it, make sure the two little dowels are still in the block when you take the head off.

One tip someone gave me which helped me was when you put the head back in, cut the head off two of the old long bolts, and put them in the block, in the short threads. Helps align that already heavy and awkward head.

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone against the grain on this one. I'm taking a chance I know but I bought a gasket set off of ebay from a place called the Gasket Shop who supplied me with a complete gasket set engine number specific, within my budget, from a company called Elwis royal - a Danish firm manufacturing gaskets since 1938.

www.elwis.com

So far everything fits, I will let you know how I get on.

ok, that wasn't such a good idea.

The head gasket is fine as are the valve stem seals, there's the issue of the three mystery items (see thread) but the main issue is the rocker cover gasket - it don't fit.

This is the same problem as the GSF kit. Bugger!

• 2 weeks later...