draft 42 review, crack pipe, y adapter, air intake

IMAG1393_zps1afd8d40.jpg

Hi all just thought I would put a few thoughts up on these recently purchased bits, now after laying my b4 vr6 up when I bought another car I didn't check the coolant (would normally drop it and change before winter but out of sight out of mind) so when I decided to put it back on the road I found the coolant hadn't the correct mix so was faced with busted rad and heater matrix so I thought best change all connected parts so all new silicone hoses crack pipe oil cooler you get idea, also thought why not dress the bay a bit its an every day car so not sparkling but any shiny is good.

First the y adapter this is as the passat has not got any dedicated silicone hose kits so its adapt either golf or corrado I went for the golf ones as I got some at a good price, the upper rad hose is to short so you cut the pipe and first this to extend it as it happens it was still to short so I sourced another pipe to get the correct length needed, as for the piece its machined and finish is good my only gripe here is the brass adapter doesn't fit flush and sits proud and looks a bit half done

Crack pipe, not a lot to say its all good really stainless nicely welded and a sod to fit

Upper intake elbow, cnc mandrel bent and welded mmmm bit disappointed with this one its a tight angle to bend so it creases the steel fair enough but there's no attempt to get rid of it it could have been ground or and polished but no its left in and the colour finish doesn't match the rest so looks a bit odd so might get it chromed at a later date.

All in that lot cost £191 from awesome gti ( which I believe we get discount from ? If so I didn't know at the time lol) so could be cheaper

What would I buy again crack pipe definitely as its nicely made and finished

The y adapter I wouldn't get not because of the quality but it didn't do the job I needed it to it was to short and I needed to extend the silicone pipes however I also think its to short as I compared it to the part its supposed to replace in the pipe and its still to short up against that

Upper intake , no not again the finish is just not there to justify it so no, I would probably get a silicone version made instead or just get one made some were from alloy pipe cut and welded to the correct angles

Hope this helps if you decide to buy any

Cheers matt

If your after a shiny intake, the bonrath power rhor is the way forward, the draft43 one does look a bit thrown together, but the crack pipe looks good.

The Y piece, is that a plastic bit that connects the brass looking nipple with the main stainless housing ?

Here is a photo of my engine bay with said bonrath power rhoar.

1367883614_2_FT504839_image_.jpg

And a close up with it off the car:

1367883762_2_FT504839_image.jpg

• 1 month later...