Shuddering under slight throttle after reinstalling flywheel / new clutch kit.

I've just finished doing new chains, guides etc, headgasket and clutch. I'm now getting quite bad shudder, I thought it was just when engaging the clutch and setting off so thought it's the brand new clutch. The shudder only happens on pulling away or holding on the clutch, once going and through subsequent changes its fine.

But I have just noticed now that the engine shudders more in neutral too when giving slight revs, like 1000, the shake goes away after and is fine at higher revs.

It didn't shudder before whatsoever so must be something that's happened in this job.

I tightened the flywheel according to the torque specs and stages and tightened in opposite sequence. The clutch was centred and I could slide the alignment tool in and out no problem and the box slid straight on too. The pressure plate was off on one dowel slightly but I managed to tap it on and then tightened the pressure plate bolts again according to the torque specs and stages and tightened in opposite sequence so centred itself out and evenly.

Its only got about 30 miles on it at the mo and I've googled new clutch shudder and things say give it 1000 miles, but I've not just put on a new clutch I've removed and re installed the flywheel too but I'm in 2 minds whether its the flywheel now or what and should I get a new flywheel to have all new? They are an exchange item from VW so people must replace them a fair bit, and you can get a new sachs flywheel from ebay for about 50 quid.

Just my luck its on back order 5-7 days. Just hope this is the issue, and also that driving it 40 or 50 miles hasn't damage anything, I'm imagining the wobble could have damaged the crank or bearings, feeling paranoid! I'm not driving it until its sorted now.

Hi, i am interested on how you get on, i have a very slight 'wobble' on pull away after clutch,chains and lightened flywheel, very low rpm goes by 900. i only really notice it when balancing on the clutch. its been 2 months and about 700 miles and no problems.

good luck

steve

I actually noticed that the vibration doesn't go at higher revs, the vibration just gets kind of so fast that you didn't notice it as much, that's why I've stopped driving it, like just over 1.3krpm was like the resonant frequency so it was worst at that point.

At 1.3 when still and clutch down so the clutch disc isn't even contacting, the whole car shakes enough that you can feel it, then after it gets much less but you can still feel it isn't right and shaking. If engaging the clutch the shuddering is way bad, the whole car shakes. Then if going along a smooth road I can hear the vibration rattling something in the dash. The faster rpms the faster the rattle.

I tested this down a long hill too, if going down the hill in gear, say 3rd at 30mph the rattling can be heard, if I then turn the engine off it will silently coast down the hill, turn back on and in gear again and the rattle comes back.

At idle speeds the rattle is minimal, but it still feels more imbalanced than it did before I took the flywheel off.

Got the new flywheel on, the pressure plate would only go on one way on this new one, on the old one the dowels would move so it would go on in all 3 positions, so fingers crossed this will solve it, makes sense that if its only supposed to go on one way it may be weighted. I'll find out tomorrow I spose.

Giving up for today, I hired a hoist for the weekend to make getting the gearbox on/off easier as the fronts on this time, it helped a lot don't think I could have done it without it, but i smashed my head on it and have a bad head now lol +o(

Got the gearbox on, twice, the lever arm didn't go into place right and wouldn't travel forward first time so had to crack it off again, which wasted about an hour so haven't driven it yet, but I did start it up and raise the revs with the axles still disconnected and the signs look / feel good.

Got the splash shield on and went for a test drive and I'm relieved to say its perfect now :D

I had a close look at the old flywheel and got a straight edge on it, its no longer flat at all its dished, I looked at the new Valeo friction disc and it only contacted about 2cms of the edge with the original flywheel, so I'm pretty glad I did get a new flywheel on aswell.