gearbox rebuild for vr turbo

Elo vr lovers!

Get straight to the point here, my gearbox needs rebuilding... Im gonna have a go myself (as i am a mechanic and should be doing it! :))

Would tps be best place to buy parts? And if i wanted higher gearing can i do that myself? I would like 6 speed gearbox but not sure what ones fit :S

I'd recommend the 3.68 final drive for the VR box' date=' don't see many 6 speed boxes for the VR these days though! You can get kits, but breath taking expensive. ...

[/quote']

ah ok, would i just ask for 3.68 final drive from tps? this will be my first gearbox rebuild :S im scared haha

Daverse is right, you won't be able get from TPS, you'd need source a box as mentioned. I also took the opertunity to replace my diff rivets with ARP bolts, also got all my bearings and seals from a place in Warwickshire, reasonable price..

It's just the tools and things that's expensive if you have to buy them to do the work, but better if you have access to them at work....

Not sure if their available from tps' date=' iif it is i wouldnt like to imagine the cost. I believe their from G60 gearboxes, look on ebay or your breakers see if you can nab one :)

[/quote']

ahhh no I don't know what to do. you wreckon I should just rebuild my standard one then? so many options on what to do isn't there :)

A 3.68 final drive would shorten the gearing though. To change the crown wheel you'd need to drill out the rivets and replace with ARP studs and nuts. A good excuse to throw a quaife in there!

You can swap gears around from other boxes but personally I'd leave them stock unless you have specific rpm drop requirements.

For 6 speed, your options are:-

6 speed add-on kit from SQS at £1500

02S gearbox from non-turbo MK5 Golf

02M gearbox from 4Motion Golf

You can also use the 02M from the R32 and also the EOS 3.2 (which has a FWD casing handily!) but as these cars run 18s with 40 tyres, they gearing will be crazy short in a MK3/Corrado, which again will mean a swap to a taller final drive from a diesel 02M.

Do you have dial gauges for setting the diff end float?

Daverse is right' date=' you won't be able get from TPS, you'd need source a box as mentioned. I also took the opertunity to replace my diff rivets with ARP bolts, also got all my bearings and seals from a place in Warwickshire, reasonable price..

It's just the tools and things that's expensive if you have to buy them to do the work, but better if you have access to them at work....

[/quote']

oh really :S ive never rebuilt a gearbox so have no clue where to source parts.... i think i might be alright for tools, my mates at work have been in the trade for over 15 years and said theyd help me :) did you notice a difference with the arp bolts?

A 3.68 final drive would shorten the gearing though. To change the crown wheel you'd need to drill out the rivets and replace with ARP studs and nuts. A good excuse to throw a quaife in there!

You can swap gears around from other boxes but personally I'd leave them stock unless you have specific rpm drop requirements.

For 6 speed' date=' your options are:-

6 speed add-on kit from SQS at £1500

02S gearbox from non-turbo MK5 Golf

02M gearbox from 4Motion Golf

You can also use the 02M from the R32 and also the EOS 3.2 (which has a FWD casing handily!) but as these cars run 18s with 40 tyres, they gearing will be crazy short in a MK3/Corrado, which again will mean a swap to a taller final drive from a diesel 02M.

Do you have dial gauges for setting the diff end float?

[/quote']

cor i bet a quaife is expensive!! have you got that in your corrado? the gearbox ratio at the moment is good but wouldnt mind a bit more top end and itd be nice to be lower revving on the motorway....

them 6 speed boxes you meantioned... would the O2S gearbox fit straight on? or need modifing? id have to some how blank of the rear diff bit on the O2M gearbox as well? as they are for 4wd... i didnt know other 6 speeds fit :) glad you meantioned it!

im really embarrassed to ask... but whats a diff end float? mates at work have the digital gauges (vernear gauge i think? and couple others)

loved your turbo guide by the way! hope the old girl is still running good! :D