On Friday 28th I picked up another vr6 (my 3rd one) after spending alot of time out from these.

It was about a hours drive from getting the car till my house about half way home the temp gauge was flashing and when I was about 5 mins from home the water pump pulley broke so now has serious wobble and play.

It's booked in for Thursday for new water pump / pulley and aux belt the car isn't being used but is now worried incase the head gasket has gone.

How much does it take to blow the gasket and What are the signs I can look for cheers.

Hi mate. Did you loose all the coolant and also did you notice what sort of temps it got upto before you pulled over? Usually when your light flashes you've lost coolant, but looking at your original post again, it reads that you drove it with the coolant light flashing for 20 minutes before the pulley let go? you could have warped the head if temps got too hot...

Also, what mileage has the car done, and any indication if head gasket has previously been done?

It's unfortunate that it happened so soon after purchasing, however water pumps can fail anytime, without any prior warning so unlikely the previous owner knew anything about it.

did you notice any white smoke coming out of the exhaust? Or look on the oil cap, any mayo type substance there? Although that will only show if oil is mixing with water, doesnt necessarily happen all the time with headgaskets. But these heads are quite vulnerable, if you drove it for 20 mins with no water chances are heads warped. As said do a compression test and a leakdown test and that will be your indicator of what to do next.

We all know how these cars get drove and just like any second hand vehicle you never know the full history and well buy at your own risk I suppose as gutting as it is. I was on the count down to get driving a vr again and this happened gutting lol. I think my head gasket is alright luckly I had heating on full which kept the temperature of the engine done and just had it checked out but still getting the compression testing done to be sure