Hi chaps,

I am looking into purchasing a set of Pauter rods for my vr6 turbo project, however after hours of searching the internet I still haven’t been able to conclude whether or not I should be going for the EDM version. Has anyone got any experience with these rods that would be willing to share their knowledge?

Matt

Wasn't aware there were different types of Pauter rods for VR....any links? I run them in my engine as they are proved to be the most reliable and strongest rod for our engines being able to handle high torque applications.

Wasn't aware there were different types of Pauter rods for VR....any links? I run them in my engine as they are proved to be the most reliable and strongest rod for our engines being able to handle high torque applications.

You are right there is only one type of Pauter rod available for VR’s. The thing I am interested in is the option of having an EDM full pressure direct pin oiling installed into the rod to pressure feed oil to the piston pins which Pauter will install for an extra cost. From what I have read it seems to be only required for engines running high levels of crankcase vacuum, but this is something I don’t really know about or understand.

Here is the link to the EDM

http://www.pauter.com/oiling.htm

Crower are the strongest rods for VR turbos. As used in SP Turbo's 800+whp Jetta :)

Pauters are plenty strong enough for most applications though and even stock rods can hold 500hp if the tune is good. i.e. no detonation.

I have also read that Crower rods are the strongest, but I just can’t justify the cost of them for the power I am aiming for (400 – 450 bhp).

If your aiming for under 500whp, use stock rods. Here in Norway they dyno over 1100whp on China made h-rods on Audi 5cyl 2,2T engines. Pauter rods are top of the line rods that alot of high whp VR6s run. Same

with Crower and do not forget Carrillo! And like Viw28 says: All we can do is base on personal choice and preference. But if you want expensive high-end rods, check out Carrillo.

Pauter rods are very good :)

Effective torque is what deforms rods' date=' not power.

Stock rods will take just below 500lbft in the mid range RPM before they start to deform.

[/quote']

I agree with what you say but it is not like you are going to get a 800whp with 500ftlbs and certainly not on a vr6 turbo.

Yes ok but , but the power figure is only achieved because the torque is there, the torque is the force of the engine, the power figure is just a by product of the torque at a certain amount of revs, more revs at the same torque = more power, less revs at the same torque = less power. The torque is always the important number, the power is just so you can put your best kevver accent on and say you have that much powah to your mates.