So the golf I brought turned up with leads that literally fell to pieces, so I need to order some more. Basically I just don't wanna buy more of the same. So do I just go to the stealers and get raped, or does anyone have any positive experience with say GSF/ECP or another patern part. Not really looking to spend a fortune on 'performance' leads unless someone got a damn good reason why lol.

Thanks in advance!

I had some Magnecore leads on my vrt and they caused me no end of bother trying to find why I was getting a weak spark. Any more than 0.9 bar of boost and I was getting a misfire, changed them to genuine VW leads and the problem was solved. And yes the Magnecore leads were also bought brand new! The more i ask round the less people rate them i know I will never be buying them again!

I fitted generic leads (GSF I think) about 12-18 months ago and haven't had any issues.

The only thing I would say is that they don't stand up to being repeatedly removed / put back in if you're doing lots of work on the car. They're clearly not as well made as Magnecore leads, but if you're on a tight budget then generic pishers should do the job for a couple of years (in my humble opinion). That gives you time to save for some decent ones, should you so desire.

Another vouch for genuine over generic, first time I removed the generic ones most of the connectors snapped clean off, I've had the genuine ones currently installed on and off loads of times and they're still like brand new.

• 2 weeks later...