Hi guys

Has any one on here built A mk1 VR using the mk3 subframe, I'm at the stage where I'm trying to aline the subframe and wondered if any one can help with how you measured it so it was straight and weather you took camber caster and all that into consideration and how dose it drive ? Or am I goin to regret doin this

Thanks

I've fitted the VR subframe to my mk1 caddy mate. Just did a lot of measuring to make sure it was in the right place, welded threaded rod and brackets with holes in them to the subframe and used the nuts on the threaded rod to get fine adjustment and hold it steady whilst you weld the mounts in place.

I used VR subframe and mk2 golf wishbones and coilovers to keep it 4 stud.

IMG_0573-1.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

You have to go through the inner footwell to mount the rear bolts

IMG_0587.jpg

Did it about 5 years ago now but it's still holding together with a 400bhp VRT in it. Using the subframe also means you get to use the power steering rack.

Yeah that's why I wanted to keep mine mate and thanks that's rely helpful to look at, do your wheels sit centre in the arches and have you got enuf room for a rad and inter cooler at the front still and how dose it handle and do u regret using it in that shell ?

Thanks

Yeah the wheels are central in the arch it just takes a bit of measuring. I've got a corrado radiator in mine and there is no chance of having a hidden intercooler in there aswell, with the short intake runner there is about 1cm between the fans and rad.

20121213_210737.jpg

I made the front slam panel detachable like a mk2 golf as otherwise if I needed the radiator out you would have to remove the front intake.

And no I don't regret fitting it as its now 4wd aswell, but depends what you want it for as a VR is quite heavy so not ideal in a mk1 as a track day car but I just use mine for sprints and general messing about in.

That looks very smart mate and yeah I was thinking of a intercooler there but was worried about down sizing and loosing power, and I would love to 4wd mine but was unsure on how easy in respect to the front getting the rear subframe on etc and yeah It will be more just for fun but do want to take it on a few track days

It probably isnt an ideal place for an Intercooler but it seems to work ok. It's only a cheap one ive fitted so I'm looking to upgrade to something with a better flow rate just can't decide wether to use another intercooler or fit a chargecooler.