what kind of car kicks a VR6s' arse?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Guest snoopstah

One of our members took a VR6 on the strip in a Lupo GTI - they're pretty close on paper, Lupo GTI gives out 127bhp/ton, Mk3 Golf VR6 standard is something like 132bhp/ton (if I remember correctly)

We also have another gear to play with, which helps our in-gear times.

Of course, when you lot start strapping superchargers on, it's a different matter... :)

Guest snoopstah

Incidentally, as someone who used to drive a Mk3 VR6, the one thing I found a real pain with them was the shockingly overenthusiastic (and permanently on) traction control - getting a decent standing start was a real challenge.

How do you guys find it?

Incidentally' date=' as someone who used to drive a Mk3 VR6, the one thing I found a real pain with them was the shockingly overenthusiastic (and permanently on) traction control - getting a decent standing start was a real challenge.

How do you guys find it?[/quote']

Only early vr's had this traction control system which worked off the abs sensors......all odb2 car came with out it!

So a standing starts has never been a problem in mine.....not sure about others though :)

Only early vr's had this traction control system which worked off the abs sensors......all odb2 car came with out it!

So a standing starts has never been a problem in mine.....not sure about others though :)

nah, we've looked into it and all UK obd2's also had it.

but its not like its proper TCS, its only very mild.

nah' date=' we've looked into it and all UK obd2's also had it.

but its not like its proper TCS, its only very mild.[/quote']

:? I can light my tyre's up off the mark if i want........there's no tracton control on mine...............i'm 99.9999999% sure i'm right.......what make you so sure they do have tracton control ?!

[ Edited Tue Sep 07 2004, 05:33PM ]

2k revs is enough on set off,just grips and goes.our vr's need a couple of miles long straight,and not 200yds.the nova boys feel smug that they've kept up with you!

with a 250bhp charger on has the vr moved up a level or two?boxter,evo,scooby arse kicker?

Guest snoopstah

Maybe the sensors were knackered or something - I know I got it stuck with one wheel on a (largish) wet metal grate once, and it literally took over 30 seconds to get the damn thing to move off it, with the diff and traction control fighting each other!

Was a great car though :)

Maybe the sensors were knackered or something - I know I got it stuck with one wheel on a (largish) wet metal grate once' date=' and it literally took over 30 seconds to get the damn thing to move off it, with the diff and traction control fighting each other!

Was a great car though :)[/quote']

lol :D

I can light my tyre's up off the mark if i want........there's no tracton control on mine...............i'm 99.9999999% sure i'm right.......what make you so sure they do have tracton control ?!

[ Edited Tue Sep 07 2004' date= 05:33PM ]

ETKA and the bentley manual say so!

of course you can light your tyres up if you want...so can i (and i deffo have EDL as it says on the control unit under the rear seat - obd1). it only works upto 25mph, and switches off if the forces fighting it are too great (says in your owners manual).

way to be for sure on obd2 is to remove the control module from the abs pump, and count how many valaves there are...10 for edl, 8 without. lot of hassle. alternatively see if theres any part no's and i can check them on etka.

one thing i have found though on mine is the effectiveness of the system is directly related to the quality of the tyres. uniroyal rallye540's get the best out of it, where as my previous michelin pilot sports did the opposite, wheelspin everywhere.

I can light my tyre's up off the mark if i want........there's no tracton control on mine...............i'm 99.9999999% sure i'm right.......what make you so sure they do have tracton control ?!

of course you can light your tyres up if you want...so can i (and i deffo have EDL as it says on the control unit under the rear seat - obd1). it only works upto 25mph, and switches off if the forces fighting it are too great (says in your owners manual).

way to be for sure on obd2 is to remove the control module from the abs pump, and count how many valaves there are...10 for edl, 8 without. lot of hassle. alternatively see if theres any part no's and i can check them on etka.

one thing i have found though on mine is the effectiveness of the system is directly related to the quality of the tyres. uniroyal rallye540's get the best out of it, where as my previous michelin pilot sports did the opposite, wheelspin everywhere.

I know all of this.............................obd1 did have tracton control....... as your ETKA and the bentley manual said so! BUT i'm talking about odb2.............does it state it does have tracton control on this engine................ive spoke to vw about this when i first got my vr they say NO as does every one i've every one ive spoke to on the subject..............that not me reading it out of a book but 1st hand experience!

The TCS can only do so much - it will only control wheelspin on one driven wheel - if both wheels are spinning there is nothing it can do.

I have noticed the cars have very good traction when pulling out of junctions on full lock compared to other front drivers ive owned - something must be working ?!

Pete.

Not likely to get both front wheels spining without a LSD I would have thought. Personally I think the TCS is v good on the vr6, its only ever been useful to me, never overenthusiastic. On a different note I know what cars don't kick a VRs arse, on the way into work tonight I embarassed a new shape Celica the 190 bhp one, on a slip road up a hill, he had a head start and gave it large when he saw me, the vr just pulled like a b*stard all the way straight past....and some!! Torque rocks hehe .Found a Corrado 2.0 and Leon Cupra playing further on, showed them who the daddy was. Car's really running well now, well happy. On the other hand a Jaguar XJ something completely destroyed me the other night, I got to 130 ish with him glued to my bumper, moved over and it went past like I was standing still.....awesome.

quote]

Just read your reply again.........................I thought you were sure they had traction control as it stated it in the manual's ?! B)

I can tell you that a '04 model SAAB 93 aero (210BHP) WONT kick a VR'S ass, because i literally whooped one this morning on the way to work!

Fackin wankster thought i was in a bloody 1.4 or something. Should have seen his expression as i passed him by at 135mph! ( i only did it cuz it was safe to do so :) )

Just read your reply again.........................I thought you were sure they had traction control as it stated it in the manual's ?! B)

yeah, i am sure...but was telling you how to check it if you wanted confirmation. the bentley covers all models, and brake system was shared by the gti's, so it says how to tell on those. it states that all vr6's have EDL.

yeah, i am sure...but was telling you how to check it if you wanted confirmation. the bentley covers all models, and brake system was shared by the gti's, so it says how to tell on those. it states that all vr6's have EDL.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one mate, I think I?m right BUT have no intention in pulling my vr apart just to prove a point..............let that be the end of it as we have seriously hijacked this thread already :P:)

Briefly getting back to the Saxo VTS barney, i gave this geezer a total drubbing in my stock VR yesterday evening, i was on the M25 south side taking a mate for a blast, anyhow i'm crusing about 85 when i'm coming up behind him, indicate out, increase to 90, he's still accelarating, im along side him and squeezing my VR 95 / 100 and now infront, pull in front of him and he tagging me at 100... and then as if from above, a big long straight hill (J8 i think, for those who know the M25) so i turn to my mate and give each other the mutual boot it nod and grin, we boot it up the hill to 125 and the VTS is history... So in all honesty when you get to the business end, not sure really what you could buy that's got as much grunt and looks as nice as a VR. Had to prove the point to another mate who has a 325i, similar situation but i had to pass him at 135 uphill to prove the point, not much in that one tho, the 325i is quick but not that quick :P can't wait until i've got enough money together to start on stage 1 of my VR project, i'm almost grinning already in anticipation :)

325's are pretty even with the vr6.

i know the bit of downhill you mean...surely you could get it upto more speed than that. i know someone who did 130 down there with a duff hall sender (so lots less bhp).

yeah, you'll have the vts on motorway...but if you were doing 0-60 sprints, or on back roads it would be another story i think.