Tightening/shortening gear changes/throw

OK, so my box feels like stirring porridge when it's in gear. Would just a pair of linkages sort this out, or are all Mk3's like this? (cable shift methinks)

Also, would installing a quickshift get rid of this feeling, or would I compromise the box? I know some cars can chew boxes when fitting quick shifts.

Finally, when I have the clutch pedal depressed and turn the wheel, I can kind of feel it through the pedal, like when parking. Anyone had this before??

Lift up your gear gaiter, and have a look at the pivoting bit when you move the gear selector side to side. If I had a guess it's got play in there, and you should be able to see the play in it when you put in gear and wiggle the gear stick.

A quickshift kit will reduce the throw, which is the distance between 1st and 2nd or 3rd and 4th, but wont do much for side to side movement, and definitely not fix any side to side excess play if the pivot part has gone. Gear linkages aren't really necessary as new ones won't really have much of an effect, but maybe new ones might slide a bit easier to feel smoother? Also what might help is to put grease on the selector fork on top of the gearbox which might make it a bit smoother also.