bought a schrick manifold from someone on here - the flap is seized solid!

been on the phone to vince at stealth racing today discussing this, ecu works fine on the schrick, turns red at 4000rpm but the flap does not open at all, you can see the actuator trying to pull it up but it wont pull. as you can see from previous posts today i was asking on your opinions of where the vacuum tank and solenoid goes.

i bought it last may and have had my 1st week off today to fit it, i was going to sell it but had enough funds for my fiesta rs turbo.

he dropped it off to my house last may 2013, i still have his address still and its not far, by law where do i stand?  :(

To be fair mate if you've had it for a year then it could easily have seized in that time. Is there no way to try and unstick it somehow ?

VR6 Loonibuggy Santa Pod 2014 !

i have no idea, it looks simple but there bloody expensive and i dont want to break anything.

You've probably over tightened. On my vr6 I over tightened and it didn't operate. If when it's off the car you can use your finger to move it then it should be fine, on a vr that's a heavy breather it could be perfectly possible oil has clogged up the mechanism causing it to seize.

Strip it down and clean it up

You've probably over tightened. On my vr6 I over tightened and it didn't operate. If when it's off the car you can use your finger to move it then it should be fine, on a vr that's a heavy breather it could be perfectly possible oil has clogged up the mechanism causing it to seize.

Strip it down and clean it up

what do you mean by over tightened pete? i couldn't move it with my finger when it was off!

you can see the actuator trying to pull it up but it wont budge!

Edited by paceo

what do you mean by over tightened pete?

you can see the actuator trying to pull it up but it wont budge!

Bolts from upper manifold on to the Schrick.

Slacken them off and see if flap operates, if it doesn't strip the actuator down, it's fairly straight forward and simple task.

Club Chairman

Bolts from upper manifold on to the Schrick.

Slacken them off and see if flap operates, if it doesn't strip the actuator down, it's fairly straight forward and simple task.

Club Chairman

cant think of the bolts off the top of my head???? any pics dude?

got a million other things im worrying about!

Not off top of my head, they don't need to be too tight though. Go slacken them off a bit and see if flap operates, if not remove upper manifold and clean the plenum / actuator parts

Club Chairman

thanks pete ill try that tomorrow! so the flap must be connected to them bolts in some sort of way i guess?

I'll tell you why :) years ago we did a group buy of around 20 Schricks and there was a machine issue which meant when everything was tightened up the flap would stick. They were machined and resolved the issue, so you either have a Schrick with a sticky flap due to oil gunging it up or possibly (very long shot) this may be a dodgy one that needs machining :) highly suspect it's just gunned up though

Club Chairman

I'll tell you why :) years ago we did a group buy of around 20 Schricks and there was a machine issue which meant when everything was tightened up the flap would stick. They were machined and resolved the issue, so you either have a Schrick with a sticky flap due to oil gunging it up or possibly (very long shot) this may be a dodgy one that needs machining :) highly suspect it's just gunned up though

Club Chairman

cool i couldnt move it with my fingers which was worrying! oil isnt like super glue i hope!

Edited by paceo

It's not easy to move with your finger anyway, I attach a bit of boost hose and suck :)

Club Chairman

sorted now pete, you were correct, slackened them off and the flap moves at about 4000rpm.

low down torque is so much better although it seems ever so slightly flat at 4000rpm and above for some reason?

it was remapped @ stealth before the schrick obviously!

Edited by paceo

it was remapped @ stealth before the schrick obviously!

No offence but you should have waited to get it mapped , you will see better gains from another map, mine has flat spot at 4000 rpm aswell btw

i had the car mapped years ago way before i bought the schrick dude!