Vag com/VCDS user friendly or not?

As the title says really, those if you with your own software, how easy is it to use? I'm no stranger to diag, I'm a HGV tech so naturally my diag work is slightly different to cars, eg. control units etc differ somewhat to cars. Looking into getting my own setup so any advice is welcomed :)

So are we saying that the ipad compatible VCDS is likely to have a lead from the obd socket to a wireless receiver box of sorts that the ipad can talk too?

Our commercial texa is very similar, touch screen computer can be on the back of the tractor unit, whilst the box and cabling is in the cab.

I'll have a browse at the gendan website later to try and gain a better understanding of what's available and what's up and coming.

I've had a look at Ross tech website but the info on it is very limited. It seems basically like an interface which uses wifi, however it doesn't go into details of whether you need to already have the VCDS obd cable and software, or if it's a full package.

Also I can't make out whether it needs a wifi internet connection to work. In quite frankly shite with computer terminology and how they work so I might just be safer with the traditional hard wired package.

I think the current cable version is more versatile if thats how its going to work, on a laptop with the cable you can take it on a test run in the car etc, if the wireless version requires a wifi network to communicate, as soon as you went out of range there'd be no connection between them. Sounds like a step backwards.

Seems to me it would make far more sense to use bluetooth, 10m radius PAN wherever you are.

Edited by Lukey.