schrick inlet manifold - still problems with it having flat spots! flap is arm is popping out!

golf vr6 - right i bought this schrick inlet manifold off a member on here last may and fitted it last week, low down torque is good and i finally got the flap to open as the bolts were too tight!

but it still feels very flat when the 4000rpm surge is meant to come in when the flap opens (yes it opens when i revv it etc.......)

today i thought lets have a look and the flap arm that the actuator rod connects to is sitting out about 1cm so i had to push it with a screwdriver to make it sit flush against the inlet again, im thinking something is loose inside, any other ideas before i take it off? low down torque is much better, above 4k is flat!

Edited by paceo

I fitted a shtick to my corrado (obd1) and there is no surge at 4000 mate , does it pull all the way to the redline ? Or does it noticeably lose lots once over 4 grand

You won't get a vetch like kick from a schrick manni all the power it develops is lower down at 1500 to 4000 rpm , I had my car on the rollers at stealth and it produced 196.1 bhp and 189 lb/ft , after the schrick and no remap it made 198.5 and 201.1 lb/ ft

Schricks are about torque gains and there all focused on low down power , if something is stuck open I'd say you was more likely going to lose torque rather that horsepower ,

Does the light change over at 4000 rpm ? And is all the vacuumed lines all connected properly and do you have the one way air valve the correct way , you should be able to blown through one side and not the other

Where did you get your vacuumed feed from did you cut and use a t piece or did you use one of the spare vacume ports from (I think !!) the brake servo

The only other thing I can think is if you have trapped the vacuumed pipe under the manni somewhere when you have routed it or like you have said something is stuck open but to be honest I've never been inside mine as it had only done 2500 miles when I put it on

Edited by redborbet

I fitted a shtick to my corrado (obd1) and there is no surge at 4000 mate , does it pull all the way to the redline ? Or does it noticeably lose lots once over 4 grand

You won't get a vetch like kick from a schrick manni all the power it develops is lower down at 1500 to 4000 rpm , I had my car on the rollers at stealth and it produced 196.1 bhp and 189 lb/ft , after the schrick and no remap it made 198.5 and 201.1 lb/ ft

Schricks are about torque gains and there all focused on low down power , if something is stuck open I'd say you was more likely going to lose torque rather that horsepower ,

Does the light change over at 4000 rpm ? And is all the vacuumed lines all connected properly and do you have the one way air valve the correct way , you should be able to blown through one side and not the other

Where did you get your vacuumed feed from did you cut and use a t piece or did you use one of the spare vacume ports from (I think !!) the brake servo

The only other thing I can think is if you have trapped the vacuumed pipe under the manni somewhere when you have routed it or like you have said something is stuck open but to be honest I've never been inside mine as it had only done 2500 miles when I put it on

the low down torque has inprooved a hell of a lot, but it goes very flat / loses a lot after 4000rpm, yes the light changes from green to red and the flap opens. but when i fitted it the flap was seized so i unloosened the bolts and the flap opened. it pulls all the way to the redline but as said after 4000rpm it feels much flatter like the standard manifold maybe less. its been polished so has been apart at some stage! the vacuum is connected from the vacuum ports on the servo hose!

the thing that is concerning me is that the flap arm was popping out 1cm or so is concerning me that something is not right / something not connected!

before the schrick it made 197bhp at stealth with a de-cat, racelands 6 branch and a re-map.

Edited by paceo

here is the arm problem, it pops out about 1cm and i have to push it back in with a screwdriver, when its popped in the car feels great but after 5 miles or so it pops out and feels flat and wont open on 4k!

arm_zps75232d9a.jpg

Edited by paceo

I'll be on my car tomorrow mate so will take a look and see what mine is like for you and if I can see anything different mate

please do, where the red arrow is, it should be sitting flush against the manifold!

here is the arm problem, it pops out about 1cm and i have to push it back in with a screwdriver, when its popped in the car feels great but after 5 miles or so it pops out and feels flat and wont open on 4k!

arm_zps75232d9a.jpg

Ah yes something not right there! time whip off the manifold and see what's going on

Club Chairman

Maybe an air leak or reset the throttle body

done that dude by resetting it and no good! drives fine still, just hunts badly on idly after taking it off again! also pops a lot not when coming down the gears!

If it was ok before and now it isn't then it's obviously something you've maybe fitted incorrectly, re-trace your steps and check for vacuum leaks and that everything is torqued up properly.

Club Chairman

sorted pete, the gasket is shot in the corner, put my finger on it and it sucks my skin! 

now i bet you cant get schrick manifold gaskets now!!