Engine Rebuild Parts

Hi guys, looking to rebuild the VR for future turbo build, I've done a search and came across a few sites. Bar tek. Uro tuning etc. But I'd like recommendations/experiences from people that have used certain companies. Want to make sure im buying quality parts. And by 'rebuild' im talking abut chains/tensioners, thicker headgasket, head bolts etc. Stem seals are also shot. Cheers boys:)

Edited by Cooz93

I'm in the middle of a turbo build at the moment and had a look into it all just like you are doing. I've bought the following:

Febi timing chain kit bought from my local Bennetts store as they came out the cheapest

Arp head bolts bought online from H-tune

Stem seals came in the Elring head gasket set which also has the intake manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket. This set though did not come with the metal head gasket so I ordered 2 metal gaskets separately from Vince @ Stealth.

Hope this helps you!

Edited by ibs
  • 9 months later...

Bumping this as I'm away to starting sourcing parts for my rebuild. So..

1. Best place to buy?

2. What will I need? Will the valves/springs be alright?

3. Piston rings?

4. Which headgasket?

5. Timing chain/ tensioner??

What have people done before when rebuilding the top end..

Info appreciated:)

I just finished up building my top end, I got my parts from https://vr6parts.com/ (schimmel performace) over in the states.  They got pretty much everything you need to rebuild a VR

I got the following from then:

titanium springs

retainers

stem seals

high flow water pump

ARP flywheel studs

SP 263 cams

fairly reasonable prices but you do have to pay customs tax which is a bit.

I got genuine OE lifters off ebay though.

Headgasket I opted for the MK4 V6 triple metal layer one

Looks good chippy. What sort of delivery time was there from ordering to door? Unsure what I really want to replace. I know stems and chains will be done. But do I go as far as guides valves and springs? Won't be big power, possibly some cams but staying N/A..

I think it was about 1-2 weeks, not entirely sure to be honest!

I personally would change them just for piece of mind and since you intend putting cams in, you might as well change them.  Also depends on what cams you choose also, 268s im pretty sure you would have to upgrade the springs.

My guides had seen better days to be honest, stems where fine though.

Edited by chippy

Did mine with engine in. But getting the box out on my drive was a struggle! Also mentioned above was upgraded springs, I have the schrick 268 cams and don't notice any valve bounce. Should I have uprated them?

Unsure on springs, but did you have any issue with valve guide clearances with the cams? Or did you just swap the cams over and it was good to go?