Always been abit optimistic when it comes to messing with tyres. After all there they play a major part in whether you will end up dead in a ditch or not. Anyway the new wheels are getting ordered today along with new tyres. Recommended tyres are 205/40/17.

I've been reading up on stretch tyres and it seems if you only drop 1 size this will be fine and give you a little stretch. Does this mean drop from 205/40/17 to 195/40/17??

Or does it mean drop from a 17" tyre to a 16"?

Who run stretch tyres out there and does it have any effect on handling or balance??

Thanks

Edited by VR6CABBS
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't see stretch as that much of a problem my self. People go on about cornering and stuff with them, and the bead popping. I know people who have had this happen on normal tyres as well. So it ju

Thread hijack!!!!! Look what I just picked up Couldn't resist sorry cabbs

...... You'll only get stretch from width cabbs, you can't get stretch with diameter, although... You could be the first, and myself and ben will help! Lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just been discussing this with Bennyk. We reckon you should go for a 15" and see how you get on with that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll run 15's pal but I wanna see a set of 13's minilites on yours. Haha.

This wheel shite is getting right on my bristols now. Haha

Edited by VR6CABBS

195's I reckon. I like those cabbs

The tyre packages they offer are 205/40/17 so I was thinking 195/40/17 would give them some stretch?? Just not sure I'm right??

And of course I'm not sure they will fit the tyres if there not the size recommended.

And time is of an essence. The damn place is shut till the 5th of jan. Not happy about that. I want them now. Lol

I'm with the others on this, wheels are a really nice choice and your final offset will be ET33.

That's the offset of a tt comp wheel which is 7.5x17, and that sits just bang on flush with front arch. I'll not lie cabbs, it's gonna be close up front running 8j at ET33. 195/40 will be more than a slight stretch on 8J, it will be full on stretch!

My mk6 R has 19x8 fitted as standard and that uses 235 tyres. Just food for thought. I'm really really really not trying to piss on your parade I'm just sharing my experience mate that's all. But one again, the wheels look mighty fine my boy

I'm with the others on this, wheels are a really nice choice and your final offset will be ET33.

That's the offset of a tt comp wheel which is 7.5x17, and that sits just bang on flush with front arch. I'll not lie cabbs, it's gonna be close up front running 8j at ET33. 195/40 will be more than a slight stretch on 8J, it will be full on stretch!

My mk6 R has 19x8 fitted as standard and that uses 235 tyres. Just food for thought. I'm really really really not trying to piss on your parade I'm just sharing my experience mate that's all. But one again, the wheels look mighty fine my boy

Would running 10mm spacers help??

My TT comps have loads of room up front pal. I wound my coils all the way and the fronts were totally clear. On the other hand my rears rub like y-fronts on a hot summers day. (So Bealieboy told me) haha.

So what wheels can I get what won't rub. And I don't want full on stretch pal.

They would be well clear mate.

If your comps are well inside the arch then I'm wondering if there's been 5mm spacers put behind mine on that period where someone else owned it, I'd have to check for you because if that is the case then I'm completely misleading you and I need to pipe down.

A standard (ish) fitment would be et35 and 7j.

Tt comps are et33 and 7.5j. That means 2mm further out than standard and half inch wider to start with (1/4 inch extra on the outside of rim and 1/4 inch extra on inside)

They would be well clear mate.

If your comps are well inside the arch then I'm wondering if there's been 5mm spacers put behind mine on that period where someone else owned it, I'd have to check for you because if that is the case then I'm completely misleading you and I need to pipe down.

A standard (ish) fitment would be et35 and 7j.

Tt comps are et33 and 7.5j. That means 2mm further out than standard and half inch wider to start with (1/4 inch extra on the outside of rim and 1/4 inch extra on inside)

Yeah mate defo well clear on the fronts. I actually like the tt comps on my car and if the rears didn't rub I'd send them away for a top strip back refurb and keep them. I had them powder coated in a bright silver and although there not perfect they do look good.

I'm lost now pal. So again do I go with 205/40 tyres on the 7.5j's or drop to 195/40's??

7.5j will take a 195/40 much better than 8j, there's 195 on my comps. They are really low on the sidewalls but they look quite well to be fair. But I'd go for 205 on 8j rims.

Those orange zw1's I've just bought will have 205 for sure and they will be stretched a bit.

When I go out for a fag after I'll lift the cover in mine and look for front spacers, I rekon it's got 5mm behind them putting the rim flush with the arch.

195/40/17 on 8j the front and 215/35/17 on 10j the rear. Both front and rear show stretch. If you want stretch you've got to go 195, it won't be much cabbs but it'll be enough to take chunks out your rim at the kerb! I'll take some pics in the morning for you and post em up.

Edited by Bealieboy

I don't do kerbs mate. Lol. I'd sooner someone take my mirror off parking wide. Haha. Yeah send us some pics when you get a minute.

Shit man. 215/35 and 10 j on the rears. What you gonna do there if your rubbing on the rears at present? You'll need a jack up kit on it. Lol

Edited by VR6CABBS