Alarm reset ? Help please

68e99dd93acf3a76afe7f918af663d2d.jpg

e50aae41f3fd8cb222c3a8428da04480.jpg

Hi I recently put a new battery on the car and the key fob is being intermittent , I thought battery on the fob ? Went to a shop they said the fob has really strong signal and I need to reset the fob to the car ?

How do I do this please ?

Is it through putting the key in ignition and press the alarm button x mount of times ?

If so how many times or what not ?

(Give me an engine and I'll happily play all day , talk electrics and my brain shuts down) lol

Tia, Kelly x

Is that for a mk4??

Try turning your ignition on to 1st stage with doors closed. Obviously you sat in it and hold the fob button in for 5 seconds. If I remember right the central locking should lock and then unlock which resets your fob. If the fob has two buttons then hold both in together.

Another the other hand when it's a flip key this normally works for most years and models of VW.

Just FYI for those that may encounter key fob issues after replacing the battery:

Yesterday, I noticed the one of key fobs stopped working (2009 Tig SEL). The key fob battery was dead (tested the battery in another device). My 2nd key fob still worked, so I used that until I was able to pickup a new battery (2032) from the local store. Got home replaced the battery in the key fob that did not work. The key fob now lit the LED whenever I hit any of the buttons on the remote, but would not actually unlock/lock any of the doors / hatch or PANIC functions.

Called my local VW dealer and they to swing by (I work less than 5 minutes from them). One of the techs came out an verified the the key fob did not work, but did light up the LED. He told me they have seen this before and it does not always happen from changing the battery, but here is how he got the key fob to work:

Use the flip out key and manually open the driver's side front door (remove the little key cover on the rear of the door handle). 'Cycle' the key clockwise and counter-clockwise. Doing this locked and unlocked the veh / flashing the lights and sounded the beep. Remove keyfob and then use. The keyfob was now recognized and worked.

Edited by VR6CABBS

No mk3 vr6

And ok obviously I'm going to be sat in it lol but thank you I'll give it a go and see what happens :)

I'll do it when it comes back from the paint shop :)

And thank you for the info about the flip key one (as other half has the mk4 gti and if it ever happens that we replace his battery we know what to do :) )

Also mines not a flip key it's just a fob and key with another key for the boot

(I need the fob to work at all times as the car is de-locked - which was a good idea at the time lol)

Just remember a while back you saying your fella had a mk4 so thought it may have been his.

In all fairness them fobs were crap anyway. I went through about three of them on my GTI. If you drop them they crack the little circuit boards.

If you don't sort it let me know and I'll speak to my pal. He works for VW.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271204617906

VW Volkswagen Passat Polo Golf Jetta Bora 2 Buttons Remote Key FOB New

If you take the little round sticker off it your fob there is a little screw so you can change your key blade. You can then prize the buttons part apart and you can put your circuit board in and snap it back together.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271204617906

VW Volkswagen Passat Polo Golf Jetta Bora 2 Buttons Remote Key FOB New

If you take the little round sticker off it your fob there is a little screw so you can change your key blade. You can then prize the buttons part apart and you can put your circuit board in and snap it back together.

Possibly if I had a mk4 then yeah I might be able to do this , but I have a mk3 , key and fob are separate and above won't work