VR6 @ 100k service items

Hi folks,

I posted in the engine forum but didn't get much of a response. Hoping you can help :-)

I've acquired a 1997 VR6 Auto - its done 85k miles so let's call it 100k. Previous service history is OK but past 10-15k is gappy and it has definately had a dubious past owner.

I've decided to get the following work done

-Chains
-New A/C pump (its rattling and all sorts)
-Waterpump (both) and thermostat
-Belts
-Leads, plugs, coilpack
-Air/Oil/Fuel filter

The engine seems to run very smooth - when its cold I do get a rattle/tick and a fair bit of vapour out of exhaust but once it is up to temp, it sounds absolutely spot on.

Is there anything that comes to mind that I should definately get done while the engine is out?

cant think of anything particular just do a thorough check for leaks, particulary around the oil cooler , thermostat housing and crack pipe as these are much more easily replaced with the engine out and rubber seals dont cost much ! 

I think I'll get a new t-stat housting and crack pipe, good reminder :) .. I've always done new t-stat housing when doing the waterpumps on the 4 cylinder engines. I love doing the waterpumps on the 4 cylinder engines actually. It's super easy and you can replace the whole lot for under £50, nice peace of mind :)

Do the dealers still sell new crack pipes do you know? If not, I'll probably go for an aftermarket steel one rather than risk some aftermarket sub-standard plastic...

yeah from memory the last time i replaced mine it was around the £30 mark from VW but would be worth a call. The stainless steel versions look like a great modification, as soon as the one on my vr6 goes i will be replacing it with one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-12V-VR6-2-8-2-9-stainless-steel-crack-pipe-water-pipe-for-mk3-Golf-Corrado-/151686953569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23513f3a61

There is a company that also sells cast alloy thermostat housings but i honestly wouldn't bother as they are ridiculously priced at around £150, you can get an OEM VW thermostat housing which in my experience will last years and years for a fraction of the price.

yeah from memory the last time i replaced mine it was around the £30 mark from VW but would be worth a call. The stainless steel versions look like a great modification, as soon as the one on my vr6 goes i will be replacing it with one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-12V-VR6-2-8-2-9-stainless-steel-crack-pipe-water-pipe-for-mk3-Golf-Corrado-/151686953569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23513f3a61

There is a company that also sells cast alloy thermostat housings but i honestly wouldn't bother as they are ridiculously priced at around £150, you can get an OEM VW thermostat housing which in my experience will last years and years for a fraction of the price.

This eBay link is a member on here pal. His eBay name is the same on the forum. There's always these ones as well. Abit pricey but quality crack pipes that you'll never have a problem with.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111645572757