Hope this doesn't appear condescending :)

Most of you probably already know this but I thought it might be worth mentioning as it might just save someone "trouble", because the information is not readily on the internet about this.

If your handbrake / brake warning light is on, it could mean the electronic brake pressure distribution (EBPD) for the rear wheels is not working.

Technially, this should only be the case if both the brake warning light and ABS light is on, however, if your ABS light is not lit up, don't assume it is a faulty handbrake cable switch or the fluid level sensor, it might just be that the bulb in the ABS warning lamp unit has burnt out, or some dishonest person has covered the bulb up and the EBPD isn't operational. If either light is on, or both, get the ABS checked on VAGCOM and make sure there are no fault codes showing.

I knew that my ABS was faulty but I assumed that the brake warning light was simply linked to the handbrake and brake fluid level sensor, especially since it would go on and off, not so, the 3rd function is actually there to tell you that the ABS is cocked up so much that the car could be considered dangerous when braking hard, and it is very true, the car brakes will perform more dangerously than a Mk3 without ABS at all in my opinion because on non-ABS models the rear brake pressure is still governed by a mechanical device, whereas now you have absolutely no governing of the brake force on the rear wheels and at that one time you need it you might find yourself sliding into the path of something you didn't want to.

Morale of story, if your ABS isn't working, definately put "getting it repaired" further up the list of projects on your car.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Edited by HopefulVr6

The EBPD is effectively part of the ABS, it could just be caused by faulty rear wheel speed sensors.

I'd get it plugged into the VAG1551/VAGCOM diagnostic and check and correct the ABS fault codes that you are seeing, hopefully it is just wheel speed sensor faults and if you get them replaced, and then clear the fault codes, hopefully, both the lights will go away and you are spot on. If the control unit cannot determine the speed of the rear wheels it can't stop them from locking.

My advice is get it sorted, I had to apply the brakes fairly (not extremely) hard the other day, it did not behave how I would expect a Mk3 to handle at all, it felt quite dangerous, and I have been driving non-ABS Mk3s for years (since I passed my driving test). This felt far worse than my non-ABS Mk3s. I reckon this is why Volkswagen also put a 2nd wire into the instrument cluster because they know it leads to a significant change in brake characteristics if the ABS can't control the wheels, the workshop manual also alludes to this.

If you post your location maybe some kind member on here with VAGCOM could offer to check the fault codes for you?

This explains my problem then, i had the handbrake light stuck on and would only go off if i disconnect the wiring from lid of brake fluid res.  Has been like that for 9yrs. Took my rear beam off and the brakes were in a terrible state and the compensator totally rusted up

I had it connected to computer last year & it threw a code up for drivers side rear abs sensor, since then it's been off road for a part restoration. I got round to doing sensor a few weeks ago but the lights stayed on the dash, so just thought it needed connecting back upto computer to delete fault & reset lights.

When it was connected back up it showed fault on both rear sensors & a fault on abs pump, so cleared them all, turned it back off & on, both rear sensor faults stayed off but the abs pump fault still remains. This is what it said

01276 - abs hydraulic pump - v64- signal outside tolerances.

Any ideas? Thanks

Edited by deevr6

I had it connected to computer last year & it threw a code up for drivers side rear abs sensor, since then it's been off road for a part restoration. I got round to doing sensor a few weeks ago now im using the car again, but the lights stayed on the dash, so just thought it needed connecting back upto computer to delete fault & reset lights.

When it was connected back up it showed fault on both rear sensors & a fault on abs pump, so cleared them all, turned it back off & on, both rear sensor faults reser but the abs pump fault still remains. This is what it said

01276 - abs hydraulic pump - v64- signal outside tolerances.

My abs light is on constantly & my handbrake light comes on after I've driven maybe 100 yards.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately wiring problems aside from what I've seen that usually means the ABS control module/pump is defective, and you will need to get it repaired. I think it is quite common with these ABS units. If you google that fault code, you should get pointed in the right direction of complete diagnostics and maybe a good recommendation of a place in the UK you can send it to to get it repaired.

:(