Mk3 golf short shifter diy

Hi guys just wanted to know if anyone has cut the length of the gear stick down and what's it like And any issues or precautions needing to bare in mind ??

ive installed the custom short shifter from besters on here but I think shortening the gear stick it self would accommodate the short shifter well....

Thanks mate all done now lol I just went for it and I just put a damp cloth underneath so when the filings fell it didn't blow away just soaked into the cloth, so removal Was easy. 

I ended up cutting 2 inches exact off as read on few other forums and it's perfect because the aftermarket gear knob sits 1 inch over the existing lentght, so a total of 3 inch drop in height. 

Havnt ant driven it yet but does look and feel nice and it feels a hell of a lot shorter and the throw matched with the short shifter is now a lot shorter and feels excellent. 

Just need to test drive it now lol

Tbh mate I think the vr's lack In 3 places suspension exhaust and gearstick. Ive done the other 2 on my previous 4 but never the short shifter which was always lacking.

The throw lenght is immense compared to my s3 8p and leon 1.8t and even my little brothers Ibiza 1.2 has a shorter oem shift, but I guess it's the luxary side of things the car was built for in the first place. But you do notice it coming from other cars, but like you said I will probably get used to it because it feels like the others now, especially the shortening of the shaft.