whats all this talk about getting timing chains done?

as im new to vr6 scene and hoping to pick one up pretty soon when i find the right one, i keep hearing has it had its timing chains done?

when i hear this im clueless.....done whta to the timing chain?

replaced? checked?

Cheers guys

Ash

the chains run the two camshafts, they have guides/tensioners and when worn can rattle about and chains can slip, this causes valve damage etc etc, i have not had my vr very long and aside from taking everything apart as far as i am aware the chains on mine are ok, i think sometimes you hear horror stories and people get worried, there used to be a myth about vr6`s always eating head gaskets and water pumps, sure they do fail but any component can fail with age and wear on any brand of car, simple rule as with anything if something sounds a miss turn it off! if it overheats stop and find out why, unless its got mega mileage most engines will be fine, but its different for every engine and every component, just get the best lowest mileage vr you can find but even then theres no guarantee that all will be 100% like any 2nd hand car, dont unduly worry about chains, pistons, headgaskets,waterpumps etc, if you get a decent mechanic (who knows about vw`s) to check a car over for you they should be in the know of how it should all sound and if anything seems a bit rattly or not working give it a wide birth, theres loads to choose from!!

if its got high mileage (over 100k) then the chains may need checking. Personally i believe a lot of this to be hype (especially on the later cars) (and i know this will provoke comment) i had chain rattle on mine and it cost me 90 quid to put right - theres been many since too with the same fix- and lots of VR's with well over 100k which are running perfect with no signs whatsoever. The earlier cars had a different design however which supposedly wasnt as good as the 2 chain design in the later, again though- there will be lots of guys on here with early cars and had no probs at all....

However if the car has been poorly serviced - maybe with no jhistory- and there is noise coming from the right hand side of the engine (thats where the chains are located) then personally id walk away unless the car is very cheap- its around 500- 700 quid to change the chains depending where you go.... It depends what you have to spend- and how long you plan to keep the car- its always nice to have something major like this done, but not essential if the engine is sweet and runs quiet...

the fuel rail makes a little ticking noise too, as fourmotion says vr engines can sound a bit tappety this usually clears when engine temp goes up, if something just sounds like general movement of parts thats normal, if something is rumbling or banging around thats a good sign its got issues! make sure the bodywork and interior are spot on aswell an engine is easy to find!!

over 3 yrs ago my mate had a vr with over 240.000 sounded like a sewing machine but the chains never broke.But saying that acf8181 his mates broke and big money. Its just down to the individual whos wants to change them.; Thats me or anyway check them at least.