Buying a VR6

i'm buying a VR6 and was wondering what should i look out for?

on parkers people mention high running costs, how high are these, what sort of costs am i looking at? i know petrol and insurance but what about servicing etc?

do the timming chains need checking/servicing (what costs)

thanks for any comments

check every electronic item in the car (roofs and windows often pack up), make sure it has comprehensive service history. check for any weird knocking noises fron the shocks/suspension in general (the bushes give up at around 100-120k, the shocks last about ten mins (but you really wanna make that a first upgrade as the suspesnion is very floppy as standard)

i don't think the running costs are that high really, for example i get better mpg in the vr6 than i used to in a 1.2 punto when on a motorway at a solid 90mph! (cause the vr6 is at low revs then)

timing chains could ideally do with changing around 120k, but its not that essential, they're very relaible.

well, you have to remove the gearbox to change the chains...so it'll cost a fair bit.

badges are just glued on, heat it with a hairdrier and prize off with your fingers...then clean the glue off. but i wouldn't take the badge off, as everyone will think its only a gti.

[ Edited Tue Apr 13 2004, 06:47PM ]

beng,

spend as much as you can on one.

There is a lot of early poop out there, and it may turn out to be a money pit and put you off. But dont let it, as these are fantastic machines...

As acf says, make sure its got aa history, oil changes are essential.

Start it from cold if you can, and listen for rattles from tappets as well as chains.

Look closely for coolant leaks around front of block,

Make sure it has clean coolant, if its rusty brown, it may have caused damage internaly with corrosion.

Check all coolant hoses, make sure they aint brittle..

Listen for noisey alternator & ribbed belt tensioner.

Oil leaks from oil cooler and sump.

rusty tail gate.

I too also get better mpg out of mine compared to my mk2 2000cc 16v!!