Are high flow cats available for the mark 3 Golf VR6 and are they worth it?

Hi,

I'm about to get a cat back Milltek exhaust fitted and have been told the bhp increase will be minimal with only about 3-5 bhp increase. Are high flow cats available for the mark 3 golf vr6 and if they are are they worth it and how much bhp increase would they give plus more importantly would they last as long as a standard cat?

Another question - what kind of power increase would be achieved with 268 cams?

Thanks for any info and help.

Matt

i would not waste to much money on other engine mods, you spend alot of money for so little gain on a N/A car, but a high flow cat or de-cat (keep your old one for mot time) is worth it, then boost the engine, only good way of getting loads more power and there are plenty of options to choice from from loads of companies, inc ours ;)

i would not waste to much money on other engine mods' date=' you spend alot of money for so little gain on a N/A car, but a high flow cat or de-cat (keep your old one for mot time) is worth it, then boost the engine, only good way of getting loads more power and there are plenty of options to choice from from loads of companies, inc ours ;)

[/quote']

How much bhp increase would I expect with a high flow cat? I know on a forced induction car the gains can be big but are they significant with a normally aspirated car? Are we talking 5 bhp increase or more like 10bhp with a high flow cat? I'm dont want to go down the totally decat route as I want don't want to keep changing it for mot .

I assume the high flow cats don't last as long as standard cats... how much shorter is their life span?

Plus anyone know if 268 cams on their own give any significant gain in power?

268 cams will give some increase on their own' date=' but to feel real gains modding the air intake (big bore throttle, performance filter) and exhaust are recommended

[/quote']

Do the later version VR6's have a bigger throttle body? Does anyone know roughly how much power/torque is achieved with a high flow cat?

Thanks for your replies guys.

Be wary of Milltek systems, the one I had on my Corrado didn't fit very well (had to go to the factory to get it rectified) and it boomed loudly at 70mph when hot. The stainless quality isn't too hot either. I'd personally go Magnex or SuperSprint over Milltek any day. The VAG systems aren't that bad to be honest, they may be quiet but that doesn't mean they don't flow well and they're built to last. I still have the original one on, which is still leak free after 11 years and 120,000 miles.