Okay, not quite firing on 4

......However, a new coil pack was installed at the weekend, it has made the difference, the pickup is a lot better than normal, presumably due to the correct voltage being supplied.. however the flat spottiing or stuttering is still there.. the leads are fine and the plugs are new so I'm struggling here as to where to look next... pity acf wasn't around... any ideas anyone... cam sensor?, crank sensor? mmmm naw, then the car wouldn't start surely? HEEEELLLLLPPP! &|

right, i had this problem, vince at stealth fixed it.

1. while the car is runinng, using plastic pliers pull out each spark plug from the coil pack and remove it, do you notice a change in engine RPM (its NOTICABLE!), be careful, you dont want to get shocked, do it in the dry in a garage (wear rubber shoes and gloves if your scared).

2. check the maf is plugged in, this is the the bit next to the belts, it has a pipe that goes into the back of the engine (a big air pipe), you can see the maf housing, it is connected inbetween the pipe work from the airbox to the throttle body, its plugged into a sensor which sits in the airflow going into the engine bay.

3. under the passenger side scuttle cover is the ECU. unplug it, and check the ECU pins for signs of corriosion (even the tiniest amounts causes problems!), spray the plug (NOT THE ECU) with electrical contact cleaner and plug it back in....this fixed the problem i had...

running on 4 cylinders is probably ECU/Coilpack related becuase there are 3 coils, which run 2 cylinders each...you'll know which ones they are when you remove the HT leads while the car is running....there will be no change in engine RPM if you remove HT leads that arent recieving a spark current.

VAGCOM diagnostics will tell you if the throttle body is dirty, it'll come back with maximum adjustment achieved or something like that....mechanic should know.