Are there any devices that I can buy which will measure my 0-60mph time which is easy to install?

Hi

Are there any simple (not overly expensive) devices I can buy that will calculate an accurate 0-60 time (not a stop watch) for my car and is it something I can install myself easily and remove at any time? Has anyone timed their own cars? What bhp/torque were you running?

How does the Golf vr6 compare in performance to a Mazda MX-6 which has a 2.5 ltr V6 and a Mitsubishi FTO which has a 2.0 ltr V6? I’m not sure on the power of either of the 2 vehicles or their kerb weight. I was wondering how the 0-60 and 0-100mph times compare. Has anyone had any traffic light encounters with these cars or other hot hatches (where the other car was actually trying to beat you)? I assume the Golf would be fairly similar in acceleration to the Mazda and FTO with little in it either way.

The odb2 (95-97) unmodified Golf vr6 is quoted at 7.1secs 0-60 and around 17 or 18 secs for 0-100mph (not sure on the exact figure though – does anyone know?). Are there any good ‘reliable’ resources on the web which show 0-60, 0-100 or 50-70mph, or quarter mile performance specs of most cars including the standard vr6?

And finally how do the ‘lightly’ modified (i.e just an exhaust / air filter / remap or chip) VR6’s on this board that have approximately 190-195bhp perform in 0-60mph times etc, compared to the standard unmodified Golf? Do your cars achieve sub-seven seconds?

Thanks for any info.

i use a g-tech performance meter on the slip road to elstree aerodrome from aldenham school which is about 2 miles, perfectly flat. it plugs into the cigerette lighter and uses acceleratometers to calculate 0-60's, 1/4 miles, g-force and speed.

alot of the 200bhp golfs will be sub 7 i think m8ty, vr6's have great power.

Try www.race-technology.com

I have one of their basic model meters, it's self powered, and has stickers to fix it temporarily on the dash.

It does 0-whatever in 10 mph increments, g force acceleration and braking, and if you program it with the car data, it calculates wheel BHP.

Mike

i have a ap22 what times everything i've done about 10 runs i've not yet got it below 6sec 0-60 but i've done 140mph in 1km , so the s/c picks up midrange.

i think you can get one 4 about 100/120 pounds now.

anybody who boast's about the performance of there car

friends etc give them that to put in there car and you'll find that they dont want to know.

well worth the money.

c ya attila.

p.s my speedo is out by about 4mph.ap22 tells your exact speed.

I've not tried it on the Corrado yet, engine still being re-built, but I couldn't get my V8 MGB much under 7 secs, too much wheelspin....I talked to a guy who drags his MG at Santa Pod, and he confirms that it's really tricky to get off the line smartly, The Corrado VR6 is supposed to have some form of traction control...does it work ?

I've already looked at and driven a few FTO's including the Mivec engined ones. Given the 0-60 official time of 7.2 secs for the Mivec I was stunned how slow it felt. Basically it really has no torque and needs to be thrashed - great if that's what you're looking for but I wanted something that would respond when I put my foot down.

On the other hand I drove my first VR6 highline today which was a bit tatty and unloved (so I didn't buy it) and had a mooded exhaust on it only and it wiped the floor with the FTO imho, there was no comparison - mountains of power right through the rev range.