Scared soon to be new VR6 owner needs some reassuarnce..................................

Guest Diluxe

Hi All !amazed ,

i've been lurking round this site for a week or so and thought i'd make post say hi and ask a few questions, I'm moving up from a Golf mk2 16V to a vr6 hopefully tomorrow, but am scared of the running costs.

I've read many frightening MPG's from 15-30, but what are you guys really obtaining in the real world? I get 330 miles out of a full tank in my golf and thats split between 100 miles town and 230 high speed motorway, will i get anywhere near that in a VR?

Also is 120K Miles a lot for a VR, my 16V's done 180K miles and has never engine wise let me down or failed to start, are there any big shocks ahead for me as regards to the engine if i go ahead with this purchase.

thanks inadvance

D

thanks for all the hot tips, those two beasts looka little out of my price range ;-), the red car on ebay doesn't have full /vw history so i have decided to give it a miss, getting into a VR is going to take a little longer i guess.

Better to wait ofr the right car to come along then wind up with a money pit.

Cheers

s/h isnt everything. just make sure your not payin for it if it isnt with the car. alot of people do the sirvice them selves these days. like a friend of mine. hes had the car bout 4 years now done it all himself, so no stamps but i know you couldnt fined a better 1. mines got 138000miles, no history, some invoices, and has just done 185bhp on the r/r. and runs better than any other iv driven (and that 3or 4) but then i only payed

I've been stung before on a car that didnt have full dealer history, so am a bit weary to say the least, bought my mk2 at 146K with full dealer S/H and its never let me down, so looking for a repeat performance.

I know you dont't gret anything in this world for free but prices vary so much on these cars, is this one too god to be true

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4580949623&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Stockers - is that your car? What's the spec?

I'm also interested in that ebay highline but the lack of info isn't great. I'm going to try and look at it first. The last one I looked at was decribed as mint, full history, original paint, well loved example with 123k on it.

It turned out to be very tatty, patchy service history, 7 panels painted with 136k on the clock.

Buyer beware! However is still went like stink and didn't rattle or squeak.

I'm going to try and look at it but I think without full history you have to set aside money or at least expect to be paying a certain amount extra at some point. If you're already buying at your limit, a car that others (eg here in the wonderful land of VR6's) can vouch for is probably a safer option.

I spent a number of years in the motor trade buying, selling and evaluating cars and I still expect I might get stung, I just budget for it.

*edit* Double negatives make no sense when you read them back. %-6

Mine was first owned by a car lease/contract hire company so has VW history to 70k.....then nothing till 109k, its not on 116k so i'm about to service it.

But mine has loads of receipts for work carried out between service book entries, and mine is running real fine at the moment

I thought the ebay add said it had stamped SH with independant garages? (sorry, couldn't get back in to re-read) Nothing wrong with this if they have followed the service schedule. In reality, frequesnt oil and oil filter changes are the more important factor. With

I think what i'm having difficulty overcoming is the fear of the 2.8 engine, I mean i've done the clutch,cambelt servicing on my mk2, but the VR seems another world in comparison and not really for the novice mechanic, how many of you guys work on your own cars?

jusy incase you guys havent seen this yet http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4582750265&sspagename=ADME:B:SCO:UK:1