Cam kits...are they worth it and how much are they?

Hi

I've heard quite a few people on here say higher lift cam kits improve the power of the car... Is this realistically the case for an ODB2 golf vr6? Also what make is best (and what degree... I've heard 268 mentioned a lot but not sure what others are available) and how much would decent companies charge to supply and fit them?

Cheers

Matt

Seems like quite a good modification which isn't too overly pricey...although what benefit do they provide to the car... and how much bhp/torque do they give to an ODB2 vr6 golf? Where abouts in the engine are they fitted exactly? I assume they increase the top end power rather than low down revs? Do stealth supply or fit cams?

Does anyone know what kind of power benefit they would give my car? Thanks for any help. Also what do the followers actually do? Do they make the cams more reliable? Is the whole engine going to be less reliable or slightly stronger with cams fitted?

peter: open the page and click on engine tuning, scroll down to kent cams, click on it then scroll all the way down to the bottom where it says kent cams-vw, then choose 2.8 golf VR6 in the drop down box, then the last application says cams-sports injection-Ex then their price of

From my limited knowledge followers are advisable but not essential. I have no idea what they do though. Someone else may be able to answer that. Ok... I received an email from Stealth... they will do 268 cams for 650 plus vat all fitted, they advise cam followers (again not sure what these are...does anyone know?), which were priced at 72 plus vat, and they definitely advised having a unichip too as the car would certainly need a remap. Stealth seem to know what they are talking about and doing when it comes to the VR6.. they have been very helpful too with any questions. They reckoned there would be a realistic 12-15bhp increase in power for an odb2 golf vr6.

Has anyone had dealings with other companies? Any things to watch out for? Also, not sure if anyone can answer this - if a cam kit is fitted would the existing tappets in the top part of the engine be replaced? What is a shrick manifold and is this similar to a cam kit?

Has anyone had a garage fit 268 cams... did it make a huge improvement to your car...and what about torque...what revs did the increase in power tend to cut in? And more importantly where and how much were you quoted for full fitting plus all necessary followers/parts etc?

how do you mean are they essential? they're essential in the fact that the car wouldnt run with out them!!

the follower sits in between the cam and the valve. as the cam rotates it pushes down on the follower, overcoming valve spring pressure and in turn pushes on the valve causing it to open. as the cam passes the spring can expand and the valve closes. the follower is also refered to as a bucket.

how do you mean are they essential? they're essential in the fact that the car wouldnt run with out them!!

the follower sits in between the cam and the valve. as the cam rotates it pushes down on the follower' date=' overcoming valve spring pressure and in turn pushes on the valve causing it to open. as the cam passes the spring can expand and the valve closes. the follower is also refered to as a bucket.

[/quote']

i mean are new followers essential when buying new cams dopey

how do you mean are they essential? they're essential in the fact that the engine wouldnt run with out them!!

the follower sits in between the cam and the valve. as the cam rotates it pushes down on the follower, overcoming valve spring pressure and in turn pushes on the valve causing it to open. as the cam passes the spring can expand and the valve closes. the follower is also refered to as a bucket.

the follower (or bucket) has a small hole drilled in it which allows a certain amount of oil (under pressure) thru and creates a "cushin" between the follower and valve hence the term hydraulic.

i think thats how it works, at least thats how i understand it to work !shy

if not some1 please correct me.

Cam followers (or buckets) are hydraulic versions of tappets that used to be fit to cars before the 90s.

New followers are definately recommended because the cam and followers wear together. If new cams are fitted with old followers, you're going to get excessive heat and wear on the cam because the mating surfaces aren't mating properly.

Schrick Manifolds are a completely different mod to the cams. They 'tune' the length of the inlet tracts into the combustion chamber to increase the torque of the engine. The disadvantage of tuned inlet tracts is that they hinder the speed of the incoming fuel air mixture at high engine speeds (above 4k). The Schrick manifold therefore has a valve that opens the floodgates at 4000rpm to give you the best of both worlds.

Hope this helps.

is it ok to fit new followers with old cams?

Yes. They are normally a softer material than the cams (which should be hardened steel) and of course they are much cheaper than the cams.

Many engines run a bucket and shim arrangement which is the same principal but uses thin discs measured exactly during adjustment to get the distances just right (instead of the old easier way of adjusting tappets with a screwdriver and a spanner). Those are like a 2 piece follower with a lift off top.... I'm getting sidetracked, the point is - replacing the top surface that touches the cam is pretty normal.

Trackman has it right though. If you're replacing the cam/s, it's best to fit new followers. An easier way to think about it is to liken it to replacing your discs because your old ones were worn and grooved, but keeping the pads. The worn pads are still softer, but they'll bugger up your new discs and make you cry for the cost of a few pounds.

If the followers are in minty condition, you can get away with it - that probably mostly depends on how much and the quality of oil the engine has been fed over it's lifetime. Revving it before the followers are fully pumped up - metal v metal ouch.

OK. That was probably too much information. :D

*edit*

Er. The original question - is it worth it?

Depends (as with many mods) what you're trying to achive, what you're expectations and driving style are.

Fast road cams, of which a 268 is I think the normal choice push the power band higher buy when "on-cam" give more power.

Race cams make the power band very small right at the top end but loads of power. Fall "off-cam" and you may as well get out and push!

If you like to rev and stay higher up the range, a cam gives you more, in the range you're normally in.

If most of your driving is low down and you like low down grunt it's probably not the best choice.

The Schrick manifold gives a good slug of torque extra below 4000rpm and also some up top too. It's expensive though.

Hope that helps you decide. !dodge

If a cam kit and followers is added are the standard tappets in the engine replaced with new ones? If that is the case then getting a cam kit kills two birds with one stone... nice mod at the same time getting new tappets. But is this the case?

Also does anyone know where to get chrome covers to the top of the engine (the part which says 2.8 VR6)? I've had a look at mine and it seems to sound as though it is on velcro when I move it slightly and only seems to slot in with a few bolts. Are these easy to replace with a nice chrome part?

That's good then... so a new cam kit should involve totally new tappets ... I know VR's normally have ticking tappet noise (nothing to worry about according to Stealth)... so I assume new tappets (followers) in a cam kit will sound much quieter?

I may well go ahead with a cam kit in the future then when my head needs an overhaul (not till it reaches the 100k mark)... Although the cost is pretty high at