Help! Thinking of buying a *mint* 97P 67K VR6....but the oil temp has just started rising!

Hopefully buying this off a m8.

Never thrashed...and never hardly been redlined in its life!

Anyways he said on a 100 mile run the other day whilst not pushing it the oil temp rose to above 100 for the first time hed seen it do that!

If he slowed down it would cool down.

1st thing i asked..did you check the oil..yes he did.. any milky residue? yes there was! oh no...

However my next question was did u check the water...yes he did..and it was upto the max!...although it had changed colour slightly!

I was now thinkin head gasket...but I know this car had never been caned and has a FSH

My mechanic m8 told me that the oil cooler failing or a blocked radiator would exibit the same symptoms??

Also this car lately has hardly been out of the town and is basically a shopping trolley which wouldnt help it!

Whats your opinions guys?? and how much to fix.

I've been waiting on him, selling it 4 years coz I knew it would be a minter!!

And now this spanner in the works

BTW m8ts rates

It could be a failed headgasket or a broken oil cooler.

I guess a blocked radiator could cause it too, but this would also cause overpressurising of the coolant system, resulting in coolant ejecting itself from the pressure relief valve on the expansion tank. This makes a nasty white mess over that side of the engine bay, so it's pretty hard to miss. Headgasket failure can also cause overpressuring, but not always - it depends which part of the gasket has failed.

I'd say start with the oil cooler 'cos it's a cheap part and relatively simple to change. Be sure to fit new rubber seals when changing the cooler. These are not included with the oil coolers from GSF & ECP, so you need to get them from VW.

If it's something you're likely to keep worrying about, a checkup is probably worth it. The AA and RAC are probably a cheaper option than getting a dealer to do it and will give it a more thorough check with some sort of comeback if they get it wrong.

run it properly for a few hours on the motorway, its REALLY milky then dont, but if its a little it could be its just not been driven for a while and has been left out in the wet, i think ive seen small bits of milky oil on my cap a while back in december when it was very cold. its possible its the head gasket, the easiest way to tell is to stick an emissions tester into the water resivroir and check for fumes in there.

if its never been thrashed and has low mileage id say its unlucky, not impossible, but unlikely.

my oil before getting it changed used to go up to 108, after putting in a different oil grade it now runs at 90-98, never been above 100 in the last few months and thats with a supercharger!

I got it today and just back from a 3 hour blast around town and motorways!

This thing goes like stink! and drives just about perfect...so I'm pleased.

Also no milkyness to report...so I'm thinkin it wsa because of its old status as a "shopping trolley"

It is due a 70K service in dec/jan so I'm thinkin an oil change now would do it the world of good?

overall i'm over the moon with it...pity about the std stereo tho....crap!

If it was me, I'd be inclined to change the oil cooler in addition to the oil & filter as they seem to have a habit of rusting and then failing at about 80K miles. It's cheap to change but can be bl**dy expensive if it fails. My first one took the HG with it & it took a lot of flushing to get all the oil out of the rad!

Don't use anything but the VW oil filter as it has a buil;t-in non-return valve which the pattern ones don't. Any good quality semi-synthetic oil is suitable. Change it every 6-8 thousand miles for maximum engine life.

If it was me' date=' I'd be inclined to change the oil cooler in addition to the oil & filter as they seem to have a habit of rusting and then failing at about 80K miles. It's cheap to change but can be bl**dy expensive if it fails. My first one took the HG with it & it took a lot of flushing to get all the oil out of the rad!

Don't use anything but the VW oil filter as it has a buil;t-in non-return valve which the pattern ones don't. Any good quality semi-synthetic oil is suitable. Change it every 6-8 thousand miles for maximum engine life.

[/quote']

Thanks for the advice, am gonna get it serviced in the next 3k at the local seat dealer (no local vw) will take their advice on cooler.

Checking through the service history its been running on VW gold fully synthetic stuff so gonna keep it that wayI think

The Seat dealer (I do the I.T for them) reckons they can service it an stamp the book since they might as well be VW.

Sound ok?

My oil temp is normally at 100 also.

A car doesnt have to be trashed for the head gasket to go mate.

It topped 110 yesterday sitting a 100 on the way bk from glasgow, will prob change the oil cooler out to keep it right but will see wot an oil change will do 1st