OBD1 runs out of power above 5000rpm

Guest Stavros

Hi everybody,

i own an OBD1 (93) VR6 with dizzy....the problem i've encountered in the past few weeks is what the title suggests. The car is fine up to about 4800-5000 rpms but above that it feels like its lost all its power. I hooked it up on a 1552 reader and it suggests there is a G40 fault (Hall sender). Is it possible that with such a problem the car is fine on lower rpms but loses power on higher???

I have to say here that on some very rare occasions it works fine, but most of the time its crap...

Any advices would be very very much appreciated.

I forgot to mention that the hall sender in my VR is inside the distributor...

Stav

My coilpack VR6 exhibited those symptoms from a dodgy hall sender, it will definately cause that sort of problem amongst others(ie generally low on power although you may not have noticed it). Mine drove like a new car after changing it, its very common to have Hall Sender issues, though I'm not sure if it would affect a dizzy car in the same way. I'd change it for sure if it was me.

Guest Stavros

first of all thanx a lot guys for your replies

...so t seems i'm on my way to a new hall sender...

Do u know if it comes as a separate part , or do I have to change the whole distributor (ouch!!!! very pricy :) :) :) )

I am asking cuse i found out in an american dealer a separate part called hall sender rotor which is supposed to fit into the disributor of early VR6's like mine....

Guest Stavros

Update.....

yesterday i took out the distributor and found out that the hall sender was completely knackered...So i went to a friend (he owns a shop with electrical parts) and found out the there is no need whatosoever to buy a new ditributor.

Both Bosch and another company (italian) called FACET, are offering replacement hall senders...The one from Bosch costs 55 euro and the FACET one costs about 40 euro...I bought the first one just to be on the safe side (I've never heard the FACET company before).

The Bosch part number is 1 237 031 338

The last problem now is to dissasemble the distributor in order to put in the new sender...I think there has to be some kind of trick in order to take the rotor off, and because of the fact that it is an expensive part i really don't want ot play around with it, without knowing exactly what it needs to be done. So probably on Monday i'm going to take to an electrician and have the job done, unless I find out until then from the internet a way to dissasemble it myself.

cheers

Stavros

Guest Stavros

thanx Silverline but I already bought one for 55 euro

On Saturday I put it on (i have to say it was very difficult to remove a pin in order to dissamble the distributor but a friend of mine did it).

The engine feels MUCH better now,,,the thing is that again sometimes it just cuts out at about 6000 rpm..its not like before though...just sudden "coughs"....

Maybe i need to take it ot a dealer to erase the fault codes ....