Hi there. I just bought a VR6, got a new battery and the car starts and goes fine once, but once you switch it off, when you turn the ignition, it revs for about 2 seconds then dies. have found that after the engine is disengaged, there is a little round plastic thing attached to the back right of the engine with a lot of cables going in on the right, and coming out on the left (going in under the engine cover area) that makes a whirring noise that doesn't stop. I have pictures but don't know how to post them. When i disconnect the battery for at least a few minutes, i am able to start the car again. any ideas?

hi, thanks for the quick responses. This car does not have an alarm (not sure if it had an immobiliser unless it comes standard). I just imported this car, and when it arrived, the battery was dead so I changed it and it worked once, then not again till i disconnected the battery for a few minutes. Is it possible that the flat battery has screwed the immobiliser or the ecu chip? I heard that when you replace the batteries on certain cars, sometimes the ecu chip doesn't reset properly and it has some funky problems?

I assume the battery was flat for ages, as it was on a boat for 2 weeks and it arrived flat. I have contacted 3 VW service places here and they have told me different things. one told me that the transponder in the keys need to be recoded to match the immobiliser, and another said that it can't be the keys cause it wouldn't start at all, so i will take it to a car electrician to diagnose the problem.

• 2 weeks later...