Individual Throttle Bodies

Can anyone give me the full low down on these?

I'm totally clueless, so i'm looking for a full run down, from what they replace to what needs upgrading etc, to power/torque gains, and of course cost.

So all techincal knowledge and opinions are welcome

Any pics would be helpful too

basically the throttle body and inlet manifold are replaced with individual throttle bodies... not sure on cost but there's cheaper ways to get more power (but you wont get a better noise;))

Grant motorsport are the best people to talk to, they did the 24v vento VR6 that was at the first RR day

As binliner said your inlet manifold and single throttle body are replaced by an individual throttle body and butterfly for each cyclinder, mounted on 3 much smaller inlet manifolds - its similar in pricipal to fitting twin carbs to mk1/2 GTIs although throttle bodies (TBs) use electronic injection. (you need to run an after market engine management system with TBs)

TBs are much more efficient than the original VR6 setup as the air follows in a much more direct route to each cylinder with much improved throttle response

I'm not sure but in theory torque will be negatively affected by the reduced length of the inlet tract/manifold and idling my be an issue as the original manifold is designed to counteract the vr6's single head design (3 inlet ports in the head being longer than the other 3)

The sound of Grant motorsports vento on TB's doing the 1/4 mile is amazing, and TBs are perfect for a race car but I'm not sure you'd want them on an every day car. Supercharging delivers more power, costs roughly the same and should be much easier to live with. If you want to be different and use throttle bodies go for it i'd love to see/hear the results :D

1130758633_1189_FT85452_race_engine.jpg

Some people seem to use individual trumpet "sock" airfilters but I think these have a tendency to disintergrate (not good if it goes down the bores! %-6 ). Personally i'd get some sort of airbox made up - someting that would run the lengh of all the TB's then have a large cone filter on the end sumthing like this ReVerie setup on a caterham (its carbon fibre and v expensive but i'm sure you could get sumthing similar made in alloy:

1130761378_1189_FT85452_r01se0013b_.jpg