Check this for economy - 39.5mpg

I couldn't believe my eyes the other day when I was cruising along the motorway during the day. I was flicking through the trip computer and saw my mpg reading for that journey was 39.5! I was only going between 60-70mph and not hurrying anywhere (like a lot of other drivers). My best figure before that was in the high 36's but I had to look twice at the figure the other day and it did read 39.5. As soon as I tested putting my foot down and went a little over 70 it started creeping down fast which I expected. Seems as though if you stay under 70 and more importantly stay at one constant speed...without slowing or speeding up the mpg will normally creep up.

My average mpg figure is normally about 31mpg... with dual carriageway and plenty of town driving. Low 20's if I belt it :(

You need some fog and leaving work a little later to get the best economy. It was foggy a couple of nights ago and the traffic was flowing but limited to 40 mph on the bypass and 50 mph on the motorway.

I was in 5th most of the way just trundling along.

Only took me 5 minutes longer to get home but managed 46.? mpg for the run home.

Back to normal 32-33 now though.

It's a pretty unusual route though, 10 miles, 3 roundabouts and 2 sets of traffic lights. I'm 200 yards from the bypass at one end and 1/2 mile from the motorway at the other. The Schrick probably adds a couple extra too when down in the rev range.

Yeah I was really surprised to see it that high. My spark plugs are fine - had them checked only last weekend by The Phirm.

I was doing a steady pace of around 60mph. Wasn't in a hurry and plus it was a bit frosty so was keeping it safe. Anyway I think what made me achieve the high figure was the fact I was not decellerating or accellerating... just staying at one constant speed... for almost an hour which is a relatively long period of time at one constant speed. My car's done just under 75k miles and seems in good nick at the mo according to the Phirm. I normally average 30mpg if I am going at a steady 50 on the way home...that's at an even slower speed but for a much shorter amount of time... but like I said I think it was the constant speed for a long period of time that made the mpg rise. Bit of a mystery but good all the same.