Can I remove the metal plate between the exhaust & bottom of car?

my exhaust sounds like i'm dragging 5 empty coke cans behind the card attached to a piece of string - it is a really annoying grating or scratching sound. i can also hear it knocking against the metal sheet at the back of the car which separates the top part of the rear exhaust and the bottom of the car. i have tried changing and moving the rubbers around, but still the noise persists.

i have had it into the garage literally 10 times in the last 6 months and they have been unable to solve the noise!

i'm pretty sure if i removed the metal plate (i assume its some kind of heat shield) the noise would go away...

my question is this: how important is this plate/heat shield? is it dangerous if i remove it?

i hate driving my car because the noise is the ONLY thing that i can hear while driving...

please help me!!

Yes it does, however it may be possible to remove the heat shield at the rear only because the gases are cooler at the back, alternatively find out what retains the shield to the car BMW make a large form of washer/retaining ring that may suffice and hold it in place, there needs to be pegs/pins that hang down from the chassis in stalagtite (downward) form, the clip then is forced over the pin and Ayyy Voila a relocated Heat shield.... :P !lol

I have the same problem - the clips and the shafts they sit on corrode and the clips dont clam on to the shaft aswell as they should as they get thinner due to rust etc - new clips might fix it but I wouldnt remove the heat shield - Im going to put a couple of spot welds on mine. A mate took a similar shield off his clio and after a long drive wondered why his car was full of smoke - it was due to the fact that he'd removed the rattling heat shield and the heat from a long drive had heated up the boot and the soundproofing stuff was about to catch fire!

problem solved!

there were 2 bolts on one of the brackets that were tapping ever so slightly against the metal bar that runs horizontally across the bottom of the car - that bar is only about 6 inches long, if you know where i'm referring to...

for the first time in months, i could really open the car up and it felt superb not hearing any knocking sounds - pure vr6 highline bliss...