Traction control?

Erm 1997 highline. There doesn't seem to BE any.

The VW brochure I read while I was researching states ABS+ TCS traction control was standard on all highline's. :@

Anybody know if the brochure (and the reviews I read - which probably got their info from the brochure) is wrong or is mine just broken?

It needs it in the wet but - ouch! snow and ice !amazed

As I undestand it, all VR6s had it as standard but it's not proper traction control. It's EDL (Electronic Diferrential Lock) which works with the ABS. It works only at low revs and involves the the ABS being activated rapidly to combact wheelspin, apprantly. It explains it in the manual i beleive. Apologies in advance if I haven't got the tech part quite right :)

cars from 1996, iirc you can tell if you look near the rear axle there is a proportioning valve that uses a spring to connect to the axle, if you dont have this you probably dont have edl.

racelogic systems (aftermarket addon) have traction control and launch control and come HIGHLY recommended.

Hmmm. Found some info on it and it's generally regarded as pretty poor anyway on the MK3's. Just being ABS based. MK4's have throttle control too and the 4WD's have EDL (locks the centre diff between front and rear).

On a MK3 though it's only active below 25mph and 50% throttle.

I have the highline brochure here and it definately says standard equip.

Still doesn't highlight if mine's not working or not, I suspect not as last night on VERY light throttle I was getting slow consistant wheel spin in the company car park while trying to crawl out. The wheels were probably revolving below 5mph and there was no ABS pumping going on.

I'll check under the car to conform it should be there in the first place, but at least I kow it isn't supposed to be working if I stick my foot down pulling away from a roundabout or something.

Yeah the so called EDL doesn;t work very well on any fo the VRs I've driven. I think the frosty roads are highlighting the wheelspin, I've noticed it allot more over the last week and am having to take it easy on the exit from roundabouts ;)