hi all

just a query havent got any manuals to the VR yet what is the oil capacity of the 2.9 VR . i ran mine low without realising and did approx 80 miles on low level oil i mean below the minimum mark...you could still see oil on the dipdtick tho.

just trying to get some sort of consalation to put my big end/crankand possible head/cam worst fears at rest topped the oil up and all seem to be well.

can a clutch relse bearing make funny noise when trying to crank the car over? :? :? :?

no swepping bends no buzzer came on or light but the engine did fell rough. do you reckon i should change the big end bearing shells to be on the safe side?

how big a job on a vr can it be done with engine in situ?

ohh is there a way to test the buzzer?

sos i knw to many question.

If you've buggered a big end, the engine would knock loudly when cold and oil pressure would drop. Doesn't sound like that's the case.

To be honest, the oil needs to be seriously low and some seriously viloent direction changes to cause that. Unfortunately VW didn't fit sump baffles to the VR.

To test the buzzer, pull off the two leads on the oil filter housing with the engine running...the dash should go mad!

Yeah you can change out the big ends in situ, just need to drop the sump. The big ends aren't cheap though!

I think you're ok tho mate, you'd soon know if not!

Hi mate.. I did exactly the same thing a while back. There was about 4mm level of oil at the very bottom of the dipstick. I was so worried. However I was told by Stealth ...a good tuning company that it would be fine as there was about 3 more litres of oil actually left in the engine. It's not recommended to let it drop below the min mark on the dip stick but even if it does it won't wreck the engine as there is plenty of oil remaining circulating - unless it's always like this long term only then would I expect damage.

You can. It's the main (crank) bearings and gudgeon pins you can't change in situ.

Dubsingh, what chip you running matey? Black smoke signifies over fuelling, which is what's happening with my GIAC chip as it's far too rich. Blue smoke is engine wear.

The V1 won't burn oil as such, but if the bearing seals have gone, then it will blow oil into the inlet. That shouldn't happen until the charger is at least 100K though mate.

i filled about 1.5 liters vack in and it is over the max mark by bout 3 mm lol is it true the v1 charger will burn oil? engine dnt seem smokey....but i did black smoke whem i put my foot dwn....

too much oil is nearly as bad as not enough drain some out asap

You can. It's the main (crank) bearings and gudgeon pins you can't change in situ.

Dubsingh' date=' what chip you running matey? Black smoke signifies over fuelling, which is what's happening with my GIAC chip as it's far too rich. Blue smoke is engine wear.

The V1 won't burn oil as such, but if the bearing seals have gone, then it will blow oil into the inlet. That shouldn't happen until the charger is at least 100K though mate.

[/quote']

not sure what chip it is all i knw is that the kit used to fit it was a Z engneering one....how can i find out what chip it is? !shy

Not sure on the chip. Lift the ECU cover perhaps, there might be some markings on the chip. GIAC put a sticker on theirs.

Clutch release bearing would feel slightly grindy on the pedal if it was knackered when holding the pedal down, otherwise it doesn't influence engine smoothness.