6 branch manifold..good modification? Is heat wrap (or heat shield) and new engine mounts required?

Hi

I'm having a 6 to 2 to 1 stainless steel branch exhaust manifold fitted. Is this a good modification and what kind of power gains are expected if any? Will the drivability / throttle response be improved?

I also need to know what kind of heat wrap is required or whether some kind of heat shield is better but if so where would it be situated?

And do the engine mounts underneath where the manifold will be need to be replaced or is this not really necessary - or do ALL the engine mounts in the engine bay need replacing? Is this something that can be done at a later date or is it far easier to get done while the manifold is being fitted? What kind of price would it be to fit new engine mounts if I need them?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Storm Developments is fitting mine. It's one of their own make apparently - completely stainless and used on their race engines. They're doing my chains and tensioners and replacing my head gasket... and fitting a 6 branch exhaust manifold at the same time. All in all expensive at

How much did you pay and who did it? I may ask to see if I can get a bit knocked off the price. You've just had all timing chains / gasket/ 6 branch mani and cams done for under a grand? Sounds like a good deal mate. Other people on here have said I had an excellent deal getting the head gasket and chains all done for

Still sounds much better. Certainly pays to source parts ourselves sometimes.

I will ask if they're doing my stem seals too. Is that an easy part to do while doing the head gasket or is it actually part of the process? How much would it be to do these as well do you reckon?

Is heat wrap or a heat shield better for the 6 branch (if a heat 'shield' is best - where would it be situated in the engine bay)? I've read on here heat shielding or heat wrap is vital. What colour is heat wrap normally?

Also, how quicker a job is it to change engine mounts - what kind of price? Is it easier to do the mounts while the 6 branch is fitted or can it be done at a later date? Are they only the engine mounts directly under where the manifold will be or is it ALL the engine mounts that need to be replaced?

Cheers for any help guys.

Thanks for your help. Useful info there cheers. What kind of cost for labour and parts would I be looking at for replacing my mounts with standard engine mounts (and also what it would cost for the uprated ones you mentioned? - ballpark figure)

Does anyone else have any comments? Will 5bhp and 5ft/lbs increase be expected throughout the rev range then? Will fitting a panel air filter improve this figure?

How loud is the 6 branch manifold on idle and when on the motorway (when cruising at 70, not accelerating)? I already have a full Milltek system - is it likely to be a lot louder than this system (which I find to be fairly quiet actually at 70mph UNLESS I plant my foot down on the accelerator when it howls!)

Thanks for your replies. I've just been told by Storm Developments that the 6 branch I'm getting is one of the best on the market today. It's their own design and made in China. It has flexible bolts/brackets/joints that are similar but stronger than the standard ones. They use springs to keep it totally independant to engine lump movement because I did ask about stress fractures. It's apparently the highest grade stainless steel you can get (not quite as good at retaining heat as iron but constant bore throughout so will transfer the exhaust gasses quicker.. )

It uses the original heat shield they say so shouldn't need extra heat wrap. Although should I insist on heat wrap? Is it only the top part that connects to the engine lump that needs the heat wrap?

They seem a helpful company and told me recently I didn't really need a 'metal' head gasket as the standard one is good enough. Unless I was going down the supercharged route there's no point getting a metal gasket which actually raises compression as it's thinner - costs an extra