Do you have a cat bypass / decatted exhaust? Very common on decats. My exhaust (which isn't decat - it's a Milltek with high flow cat) occasionally pops when I put my foot down and then suddenly let off the power. It's just the waste exhaust gas flowing through the exhaust at different rates (I'm sure someone on here has a better explanation!) Nothing to worry about I'd have thought. If you are running big power as you may with a sc then build up of gasses can develop and are let out when you go down a gear as you let off the power temporarily - some extreme high power cars even get flames during the downshift process.

lol lol lol....nah i dnt cane it when cold i have a morning ritual i always let the car run for 10 mins till its up to temp before even moving it...it just seems when i need it to perform it bogs dwn and judders for a bit then flies then stuters, pop etc till i change gear and its happens all over again mostly in at the top end of mid ramge....its pissin me off and most of the time embarsin when a lesser car keeps up

What likes the Dizzy Cap and arm though, are they new? have you removed them and repeated the process above... It also sounds like a temp sender has gone... like the blue one (I think) on the thermostat housing rail...has it been vag.commed recently?? just a thought...

might try and see if i can get vince to vag com it for me at the rolling road day....i did change my thermo recently....not checked the rotor arm either...when i bought the car it went straight to vince....coz it was not running right...turned out to be the hall sender wires were brittle and two were broken....thats all that came up on the vag com