TSR built me an engine last month (Ouch...)

They recommended lots of up and down revs for first 500 miles, (max 4000rpm), then max 5000rpm for next 500 miles, and an oil & filter change aftewr that.

I did read on another site a recommendation of running in at constant high revs....motorway thrash but evidently this can lead to glazed bores (not to mention possible bearing failure I guess).

Exactly a question I was going to ask. I'm getting my head gasket and chains done plus a 6 branch exhaust manifold.

Would I have to run it in for about 500 or is it 1000 miles? I'm assuming I should not go over 3000revs until this is done?

nope nothing needs running in for that, running an engine in is to smooth off all the microscopic imperfections and burrs etc that appear in a piston bore at manufacture and so the cylinder is completely smooth so every thing can settle in.

if you're replacing just the rings then a run in period shouldnt be necessary.

also when running an engine in you shouldnt put the engine under a lot of load eg towing a caravan or a car etc.

Exactly a question I was going to ask. I'm getting my head gasket and chains done plus a 6 branch exhaust manifold.

Would I have to run it in for about 500 or is it 1000 miles? I'm assuming I should not go over 3000revs until this is done?

iv just had that done and the run in procedure is DONT give it full throttle (not that u need to with a vr :P ) drive it gently and DONT go over 3k revs ie drive it like its cold for 500 miles then its safe to gradually increase throttle and revs dont go and raz the tits off it as soon as it hits 500 miles.

i went for a 2 hour drive up the mway at 3k revs (no more) and i was told it does it the world of good.

iv done aprox 550 now and still havnt gone over 5k rpm !lol

oh and this applies to a head rebuild i dont know about bottom end work